Thursday, July 18, 2024

Kiruna, Sweden: Part 1 - Day 1: Arrival in Arvidsjaur

I had a short summer holiday with my friend in the north of Sweden, specifically Arvidsjaur and Kiruna. My friend was in Arvidsjaur and we decided to do a road trip to Kiruna. I was there for a long weekend from a Thursday until the following Monday. I did two things on this trip which I never expected to - see the midnight sun and drive to Kiruna! Whenever I drive, my boyfriend is always next to me and this time, it was just my friend and I. I was nervous because my boyfriend is my 'safe' person but I drove successfully without him. What a milestone!

For the first time, I flew domestic within Sweden. Initially, I planned to take the train from Stockholm to Arvidsjaur as I am used to taking the train. But the train tickets were not released yet when I checked in April and May. Gradually, the tickets were on sale but there was no direct train and one has to take a 7-hour bus ride after a 7-hour train ride! So, I flew. It was a 1 hour 45 minutes flight one way followed by a 10 minute taxi ride to my friend's accommodation. The total price for the flight + taxi is cheaper than train + bus. Can you imagine that? Unfortunately, I did not save the price information for the train and bus. 

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 1.

11/7 Day 1: Flight 08:30am from Stockholm. Arrived Arvidsjaur airport 10:15am. Taxi to Camp Gelais. 

Costs
(1) PopulAir flight ticket return - SEK1891
(2) Taxi from Arvidsjaur airport  - SEK140
(3) Lunch at the only Thai restaurant in town - SEK110
(4) Dinner at Laponiakåtan restaurant - Smoked salmon SEK265, shared Blueberry opera cake SEK110, pineapple mocktail SEK65

The Story
11072024 - I did not think I will be in Arvidsjaur town again. I was here in 2022 when we took Inlandsbanan train and stopped at this town. It is a small town but the cool thing in this town is that reindeers walk freely in this town and cars have to stop to make way for the reindeers. I took the flight from Stockholm and it was a small airplane. There were no booked seat numbers and we could sit wherever we want. The funny thing was that there were only 10 passengers on the flight! HAHAHA! I could not help but laugh at this. I have never been in such a flight. We got coffee and some chocolates on the flight. I brought a book to read and I managed to finish the book after the flight.



It was a rainy morning when I reached Arvidsjaur. I booked a taxi two days before my flight. One has to book latest a day before the flight. The phone number for the taxi is on Arvidsjaur airport website.


My accommodation in Arvidsjaur - Camp Gielas. 


We had lunch at the only Thai restaurant in Arvidsjaur. Buffet lunch for SEK110. There were only 4 dishes in addition to rice and noodles served in the buffet. Well, one cannot be choosy when there are no other options available.



We walked around town. I had been in Arvidsjaur before so I did not feel like I missed out much. We went to Lappstaden (The Sami Village) and the local church. It was raining so it was not a very enjoyable walk. We went into the local grocery store and bought dried reindeer meat. We had it with thin bread and it was very tough to chew. I felt like my teeth was going to break.


For dinner, we ate at Laponiakåtan. I was here in 2022 too and then, I had grilled reindeer meat. This time, I had smoked salmon because it has been a long time since I had fish. We did not get any complimentary bread this time. My friend had smoked shrimps. It was quite a tedious task to peel off the shells and enjoy the shrimps. I enjoyed my salmon. The salmon dish was not in the menu in 2022. Yummy blueberry opera cake for dessert!



No comments: