Saturday, December 28, 2019

Kebnekaise: Part 3 - Day 3: Rest and relax

Day 3
Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 3.

3/8 Day 3: Rest and relax by exploring the nature around the mountain station

Must-Incur Costs
(1) Real Turmat dried food - SEK198 (SEK99 each for breakfast and lunch)

Optional Costs
(1) Rent towel for sauna SEK45
(2) Dinner at STF Kebnekaise SEK410 (only can be purchased if one becomes a member for SEK295) - I just checked the STF Kebnekaise website and the price is now SEK425 - I got persuaded by the guys to be a member so that we can eat together.
(3) Shower band (valid for 24 hours) SEK250
(4) Lost bet on a red tent - 3 beers for SEK240

The Story
03082019: The day before, we decided that we will take a rest the next day i.e. today because we were exhausted from the 19km walk. So, we will wake up when we are ready and explore the area.

In the morning, the guys woke up early and needed to take a shower because they felt dirty by yesterday's 19km walk. So, they paid SEK250 each for a 24-hour shower while I wiped myself with wet wipes. That is an expensive shower, I said, but I got pulled into it at the end of the day because the guys wanted to go for a sauna and they needed to invite me. While they went to take their shower, I took pictures of the area around the tent. The weather was perfect! 















For breakfast, we had our dried food. We got dried food from Real Turmat, a Norwegian brand. All we needed to do was boil 500ml water and pour inside the dried food. Wait for 8 minutes and it is ready to be eaten. 



Today, we spent the day hiking around the mountain station. The nature in the north is serene and the air is so fresh. We hiked to Jättegrytorna (The giant clay pots) - It is an area that contains water which is about 3km from the mountain station. I just followed the guys to where they went. Everywhere IS a postcard view. 






For lunch, we had the dried food again. It is really very convenient and filling. It costs SEK99 a packet.




Along the way, I lost a bet with the guys. We saw a red object somewhere ahead and I stated that it is a red cloth and the guys said that it is a red tent. I was stubborn and they placed a bet on it with me buying them beer if I lost. They got their beer when we got back to the mountain station. Hmph.


The guys booked dinner too at the mountain station. However, one has to be a member with STF (Svenska Turistföreningen) which is the Swedish Tourist Association. So, all 3 of us became a member that evening. I commented to the guys that they are making me poor on this trip. Now, it has become a luxurious trip for me. They said that it is good to have a proper meal before the hike the next day. Alright, I said reluctantly... Yeah, they have a point. Live life to the fullest, and enjoy it. One can earn money again. Sometimes, I am in conflict with myself. Do I want a budget trip or a memorable trip? 

There were 2 dinner sessions (1745 and 2030). We booked the 1745 dinner. Before dinner, we treated ourselves to a sauna and a shower. I bought the shower band. Yeah, I succumbed to their philosophy of enjoying oneself. I do not think it will be a big problem for me if I have worked many years in Sweden. Everything is expensive in Sweden and so, I was trying to save too and not splurge on the trip. But then again, when will I do this again, right? I dislike having arguments with myself... I suppose it is alright occasionally to be generous to myself and experience it.

Dinner was cold food - salmon and cut meat from the buffet table, and hot food - 2 different kinds of sausage meat and dessert - chocolate mousse with lingon berry.








Now, we sleep!

No comments: