Friday, December 27, 2019

Kebnekaise: Part 2 - Day 2: 19km walk to Kebnekaise Mountain Station (Fjällstation)

Day 2
Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 2.

2/8 Day 2: 19km walk from Nikkaluokta to Kebnekaise Mountain Station (Fjällstation)

Must-Incur Costs
None

Optional Costs
(1) Beer at Kebnekaise Mountain Station SEK85

The Story
02082019 Evening: At 1715 hours, we started our 19km walk to Kebnekaise Mountain Station. The temperature was warm and I was happy that I could walk without any need for a sweater. I put on a sweater about 9pm when it got chilly and my arms were aching from the chill. I thought they were aching from the burden of my backpack but I was wrong. My mistake was bringing 2 backpacks on the trip. One was my huge backpack and the other was a day backpack. I did not have any other smaller bags that could be my day backpack to be used to hike up Mount Kebnekaise. So, it was a bit difficult to carry a bag in front of me and behind me. Lucky me that one of the guys helped me to carry my day backpack when it got too annoying for me.




We reached the jetty where one can take the boat to cut off 5km from the 19km trail. We got there by 6.30pm. That is about 1 hour 15 minutes for the first 6km. Not too bad, I suppose.





We took a couple of stops along the way to enjoy the view, and refuel on food and water. While we stopped, we were also greeted by the flies and mosquitoes. Not very pleasant and we had to shorten the rest stops.






At 2245 hours (after 5.5 hours), we reached Kebnekaise Mountain Station and the first thing we did was ordered beer. 



Then, we trudged up a slope to find a good spot to put up our tent. There were lots of tents being set up so we had to scout for a good place. Our spot was about 7 minutes' uphill walk from the mountain station. The three of us shared a tent so that was easier for us to set up. 




I got my sleep at about 2am. 

No comments: