Sunday, August 12, 2018

Oslo and Bergen: Part 1 - Day 1: Train ride to Oslo from Stockholm

Summer 2018 has got to be the best summer I have ever experienced. Well, this is my 2nd summer, so it would not be logic to say that this is the best. Last year's summer was a bit dull in comparison to this year's summer. This year, I explored Norrland (of Sweden), visited a few towns in Sweden (Goteborg, Sigtuna, Uppsala), went to Sweden's biggest island, Gotland, experienced a few countries' festivals (Thailand, Indonesia, Brazil), did my first cruise on Viking Line and the icing of it was to go to Oslo and Bergen, Norway with my penpal! By the way, Oslo and Bergen are so beautiful!

The journey looked like this - Train from Stockholm to Oslo -- 1 day in Oslo -- 1 day 'Norway in a nutshell package from Oslo to Bergen -- 2 days in Bergen -- Train from Bergen to Oslo -- 1 day in Oslo -- Train from Oslo to Stockholm 

Day 1 (Evening)

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 1 Evening. 

2/8 Day 1: Train from Flemingsberg Station (SJ Train) to Oslo Sentral Station

Must-Incur Costs

(1) Train ticket: SEK195 for the normal seats
(2) Bus ticket: NOK35 (valid for 1 hour)

The Story

02082018: I bought my train ticket one month before my trip and it was surprisingly affordable. It was a 5.5 hour train ride from Stockhom to Oslo. I was happy that it was a short ride. It was a warm summer evening and I waited with all the other passengers for the train. The photo below is not the train I took. I took a picture of it because it has that authentic train feel. The train I took was the fast train and it is grey in colour and looks very modern (and not-so-pretty). The train departed at 5.25pm and reached Oslo at 10.43pm.

The train has all the facilities - clean toilets, cafe, not-functioning WiFi (unfortunately but it was functioning for the return train, socket (for chargers) and lights for reading. I did not buy anything from the cafe because I don't expect it to be affordable, so I have brought my own snacks on the train.





It was a comfortable train ride. I did not sleep as it was still early for me. So, I spoke to a passenger next to me. He is from Erithrea and he told me that he moved to Norway because it is the best country in the world. 











I bought my bus ticket from Narvesen (it is like Pressbyran of Norway) for NOK35. My bus ticket was not checked when I went in through the back door, and I find that interestingly refreshing. Two things came to my mind - people here are honest, and everyone trusts each other to perform their duties.

My couchsurfing host came to pick me up and we took the bus back to his place. It was my first time using Couchsurfing and I was a bit worried but I had 2 amazing hosts for 2 days. My host stays very near to the train station. It would have been a 20 minute walk but as both of us were tired, we took a 6-minute bus ride.


I did not realise that my Couchsurfing host stayed next to a graveyard. We walked through it the night before and I did not notice it until I woke up the next morning. I have nothing against graveyards. I was just a bit surprised. Haha!


No comments: