Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Oslo and Bergen: Part 2 - Day 2 Morning: Ekebergparken, Sorenga, Opera House, Defence Museum, Akershus Fortress

Day 2 (Morning)

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 2 Morning. 

3/8 Day 2: Ekebergparken -- Sorenga -- Opera House -- Defense Museum -- Akershus Fortress

The Story

030818: I discussed with my host on the place to visit for the day and he arranged the places in good order so every location was a walking distance from one another.

From my host's place, I walked to Ekebergparken - a sculpture park with women as the main theme, and this park has a good view of parts of Oslo. I did not walk the entire park but instead went up to the viewpoint and feasted my eyes to the panoramic view and continued my exploration to the next destination. So, I saw 3 sculptures only. 








Along the way to my next destination, Sorenga, I passed by Oslo Hospital. I was very surprised at how small it is but it turns out to be the old hospital which now houses psychiatric and psychology clinics.


Here I am, at Sorenga Bathplace. One can bathe here but I did not do that. 




Next place - Oslo Opera House. This is definitely a must-go! It is a work of architecture here. The pavement gradually leads up to the roof. The wide steps leading to the roof are not totally flat, but have raised platforms here and there. I don't think I would want to walk here during winter. I have never seen such design before on a building. The view from the rooftop of the Opera House was gorgeous, as all views are from the top of a building. 








If one don't fancy walking on the wide steps, there are steps by the side which is more assuring. I admit, I was a bit nervous walking down, afraid that I may slip.


Next - Akershus Fortress which was unfortunately closed for the summer as it was undergoing renovation. So, I went inside the Defence Museum which I viewed is not as scary as the Army Museum in Stockholm. I was not aware that Norway was involved in a lot of wars - civil war and occupied by the Germans. Akershus Fortress and Defence Museum are in the same vicinity.

The Defence Museum would have been enjoyable for history buffs. Unfortunately, I am not one of them plus I was pressed for time. So, I could not linger for long. 















And the walk continues... 

No comments: