Saturday, March 4, 2017

Cambodia : Part 15 - Day 5 Morning : Street 240 and Street Food

22.01.2017 - Today, we fly back to Malaysia. Our flight was in the evening. Hence, we have time to explore in the morning. Because our hostel room in Mad Monkey did not have a window, we woke up late. When I looked at my watch, it was 9am! WHAT! So, we hurriedly got ready and left the hostel. 

I have a place in mind - Street 240. It was very near and we thought of taking the tuk-tuk but we were overcharged for USD3. I told the drivers that it was near (1.5km), and they bargained to USD1.50. Still no. It is suppose to cost USD1 but obviously, no drivers are going to drive us for USD1. So, we walked to Street 240. We relied on Google Map.




As we were walking towards Street 240, we saw so many street food from the locals! Initially, I had a place to go to on Street 240 - Artillery Cafe. But when I saw it was a Western cafe with the usual meals - oats, sandwiches, salad, toasts and the USD price, we decided to go back to the street food.





The Artillery Cafe on Street 240. We know we are close by. The alley of Street 240 has very beautiful murals and designs on its shops.











A decade ago, Phnom Penh’s street 240—specifically that section of it running east from Norodom Boulevard toward the Royal Palace—comprised a quiet row of unremarkable colonial-era villas and 1960s shophouses. At one end, overworked journalists at the Cambodia Daily toiled round the clock, while at the other, a French-owned Mediterranean restaurant and bar called The Tamarind served as the liveliest spot in the neighborhood. Revelers would teeter up its precarious iron staircase to the rooftop terrace, Angkor beers firmly in hand, to gaze at the pagoda spires gracing the capital’s low-slung skyline. Source from Destinasian.


I was hungry and decided to buy some local delicacies. I bought 2 pieces of the grilled delicacy - it has no fillings and made of sweet potato. 2 for KHR500 / RM0.55.


We are back at our initial route where we saw the street food. It was a small eatery. My sister took one grilled fish. It tastes good, she says. No stomach problem either. As for me, I had rice and some dishes - chicken with ginger and fried egg - USD1.25 / RM5.63. The coffee is USD0.50 / RM2.25 a cup. It was thick coffee. It was monies well spent. 






That marks the end of my Cambodian trip. 5 days 4 nights. 

Here are the list of places I went. You can click on the link and be directed to the posts immediately. 
Day 2 - Countryside Cycle Tour, Kompong Khleang Floating Village, Sunset at Angkor Wat and dinner in Sugar Palm Restaurant
Day 5 - Street 240 (this post)

I have mentioned some of my expenses in each post. But for total and different category of expenses, I will sum it here.  

1) Food - USD82.63 
2) Entrance fees - USD72  
3) Accommodation - USD26. 
4) Transport - USD49.93 (my share)
5) Souvenir - USD10

Total Cost for me = USD240.56 / RM962.24 (The exchange rate I used is RM4: USD1) as I bought my currencies at that cost. 

Inclusive of my flight tickets, my total expense for Cambodia = Flight ticket RM336.26 + RM962.24 = RM1,298.50. I believe to most people, this would be a high expense for an Asean country. Yes, you could be right. The highest I incurred was for food which some were must-haves in must-go, and some were worth spending for the company I am with. 

It has been an emotional-triggering trip from awe and admiration for the temples, to woe and gloom for the genocide areas. I would definitely say - Visit this country.  

No comments: