Sunday, February 5, 2017

Cambodia : Part 2 - Day 1 Morning : Mad Monkey Hostel, Siem Reap

18.01.2017 - Taking the 6.50am flight, I arrived in Siem Reap at 7.50am local time. Cambodia is 1 hour later than in Malaysia. I arrived and the airport did not look too busy. I have done my research a month back, and it was advised that one can get cheap tuk-tuk rides outside the airport. The airport does have its tuk-tuk services for USD6. An airport officer saw me wandering around and suggested me to use the airport tuk-tuk compared to the one outside, citing safety as a reason. I thanked him and I told him I have lots of time to spare, and decided to walk outside. 






True enough, outside the airport, there were a number of tuk-tuks where some of the drivers are sleeping as it was still early. A majority of them offered the ride to the city center for USD5. One offered for USD6 and I told him that it is the same as the airport tuk-tuk. So, I took one for USD5. It was about a 30 minute drive (9km) to my hostel, Mad Monkey Hostel. 

The roads were very dusty but I enjoyed the wind. I passed by some very fancy hotels and I realised that Siem Reap is quite a city. I believe it could be due to the fact that Angkor Wat attraction is in Siem Reap and hence, the place has to pick up its pace to cater to the tourists. Almost everyone could speak English. I mean, the locals whom I speak to. But the one thing that hit me was its weather. It was humid, more than in Malaysia. The air was warm. The weather was a true test to my Malaysian roots. 










I suspect Mad Monkey Hostel is quite well known in Siem Reap because the driver did not need much introduction or directions of the hostel. The Hostel is located in an alley, but when I walked in, I saw that the hostel is big, and I was greeted by a swimming pool and lots of colourful pillows. 

I had arrived earlier than the check-in time of 12.30pm. I had booked a 4-dorm for USD8 per night per bed. I registered my name and put my luggage inside its storeroom. Walked around the hostel to check out the place.







I was surprised to see an Automated Teller Machine in the hostel but it was not working the next day. There is a small bar in the hostel and a rooftop bar where daily activities are held - as seen in the below photo from Monday to Sunday. I did not attend any. The swimming pool was opened from 7am to 7pm, and loud music blared through the compound. Gosh, the music was really loud. 

Slowly, the Caucasians trickled out from their rooms and threw themselves on the pillows to give themselves a lovely red colour, while I tried to hide under the shade as much as possible. After 7pm, the music by the swimming pool is switched off and is continued upstairs at the rooftop bar till midnight. It is really loud. The walls are really thin. I could hear the lyrics of the music from my room on the ground floor. Also, the rooftop bar is a magnet attraction for other Caucasian travellers who stay elsewhere. There were lots of them who came and asked - Where is the rooftop bar? 


There are two toilets next to the swimming pool. It is definitely a good thing to build these toilets because we checked out early on the 3rd day and our bus ride to Phnom Penh was late at night. So, we lazed in the living room and showered here (there is a shower head in the toilet). Oh, look at the funny sign behind the door of the toilet. Well, it was pasted on every toilet door or wall. 


The Bum Gun here is the Hand-held Bidet - it is a common fitting in most toilets in Malaysia. In my honest opinion, it is much cleaner than using a toilet paper. Here is a thought - do you wash yourself with a dry towel? If no, why do you wipe yourself with paper? Do you get the analogy here?



I love this birdnest seat but my back hurt after sitting inside for too long because it was too hard.



I think the staff or owner of Mad Monkey has a good sense of humor.




The living room which is further from the swimming pool. Yay to that. 


Some nice murals on the wall. 






View from the rooftop bar. 






The rooftop bar is also a restaurant. I saw lots of the customers eating by the pool or in the pool. 



Finished with the exploration, I was happy to step out from the hostel to see what Siem Reap town has to offer.

***************

I got back from my short walk and checked in to my room. This is the 4-bed dorm which is next to the luggage room. Having an air-cond in the room was very welcoming and I took a short nap. The last time I napped during a trip was my Vietnam trip to Hoi An in 2013. I think age could be a factor or the weather is too warm or I ran 15km the night before and slept 4 hours in the airport. Or it could be all reasons. But personally, I don't like napping in the afternoon during my trips because it is a waste of time. Unless, I have nothing to do.

The toilet in the dorm is clean. Can you see the handheld bidet next to the toilet? That is the Bum Gun. The toilet paper is to be thrown in the waste basket. Also, there is a water heater. How nice. There is one socket for each bed, so you may want to use a multiple plug if you are here. They also provide drawers underneath the beds, and an option to lock it, so bring your own key and lock. One of the beds was occupied by a backpacker from Chile, and he left his laptop on his bed when we were there. I guess we look like nice people because my sister's friend commented that one of her items were stolen when she stayed in a hostel, and not to mention, it was a private room, hence, it must be taken by one of the cleaners. 



No comments: