Thursday, February 2, 2017

Cambodia : Part 1 - Overnight in Capsule Hotel

Happy Chinese New Year, readers! Today is Day 5 of Chinese New Year and a week before Chinese New Year, I travelled to Cambodia for 5 days. It was a very short trip, compared to my usual almost-one-month holidays in September. 

17.01.2017 - Today, my first travel of the year starts local. I am going to Cambodia! I have always wanted to go to Cambodia for quite sometime. I made plans with my sister to go in early 2016 but I scrapped the plan. The flight ticket was mostly the factor. This time, I think I got it at a good price. I bought the flight ticket in November 2016. My sister shared that she was going to Cambodia to bird-watch (yes, that is a rare activity than the usual temple sightings) and I thought I could meet up with her after the bird-watching activity. 

I bought my flight ticket to Siem Reap for RM97, and the return flight from Phnom Penh for RM239.26. No check in luggage. No purchased meal. The flight is a morning flight at 6.50am. As I planned to take a taxi to the airport, I decided to go the night before. Yes, it is possible to go early morning too but I will be paying the surcharge midnight fees. I reached the airport about 11.30pm. My colleague pointed out that taking a taxi the next morning with surcharge fees is still cheaper than me sleeping in the hotel. Taxi (RM65 + RM33 surcharge = RM98) vs Taxi (RM65) and Capsule Hotel (RM80) = RM145. She was right but I thought I could avoid the hassle of waking up so early. 

Back to Capsule Hotel. This is my 2nd time in Capsule Hotel. My first experience was in 2015 when I went to Mabul. I had a bad experience because there were lots of mosquitoes and it was noisy. I tried my luck this time, and I had a good sleep - no mosquitoes and no noise. Yay! I booked it the day before, and found out they have increased the price and changed the hours to 6-hour, 9-hour and 12-hour rates. Previously, there was 3-hour and now replaced with 9-hour. I booked the 6-hour for RM80. Previously it was RM70. I got a towel and a small toiletries pack.  






It is safe with a card to tag yourself in. Mine is the all-female dorm. I think I was lucky to get an upstairs container and hence, avoided the noise.







My handphone went bonkers that night and I could not set the alarm. So, I decided to try the phone in the container which supposedly will give you a morning call. I followed the instructions but I could not set the morning call. I gave up, and decided to use my digital watch instead. Thankfully, I chose to wear it instead of my usual analog watch. 

The bed was very comfortable. I slept well. I was afraid I will miss the time to wake up but fortunately, my watch did a fine job of waking me up. I woke up by 4.30am, took a quick hot shower and was out of the hotel by 5.30am, and strolled to the boarding gate. 

No comments: