Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Cambodia : Part 3 - Day 1 Morning : Old Market

18.01.2017 - After putting my stuff in Mad Monkey Hostel, I asked for directions to the Old Market. As I am famously known by everyone (well, just anyone who knows me), I have the worst sense of directions. The staff at Mad Monkey explained the directions pretty well, but I still got lost. It was very near - about 700metres (based on Google Map). 

"Come out from the alley. Turn right. Go straight. Past the traffic light. Turn left. Walk straight"

Pretty simple? Yes, I still got lost. I went past the traffic light and turned into the wrong lane. Anyway, it was a good walk to see the places. I saw Maybank and Aeon on the street. It is like I never left Malaysia because these 2 places are common in Malaysia. I also saw Public Bank and CIMB. 

Thankfully, it was not burning hot. Yet. It was only 9am. One of the tuk-tuk drivers approached me and asked if I would like a ride around town. I declined and told him I am going to Old Market. He said that the Market is not open yet. It opens around 11am. Of course, that is a lie. He just needed a customer. 





There were many eateries selling Happy Pizza. I did not try any. I don't think I can finish a pizza by myself, either.



Can you read the words at the bottom of the tuk-tuk? It states "Every reader cannot be a leader but every leader must be a reader".





I saw a Caucasian family walking with a coffee strainer and I suspected they came from the Old Market. I asked for directions and I was there in less than 5 minutes. The sun was beginning to burn. I was wearing a cap, fortunately.



The old market, located between Pub Street and the riverside, is without any doubt the heart of Siem Reap. This market is the most popular one in town and is visited by both tourists and Cambodians. While tourists usually frequent it to hunt for souvenirs, locals come for it's wide range of ingredients, used in the traditional Cambodian cuisine.

Looking chaotic at first, you will find out that there is a structure in the layout of the shops once you go inside. At one side you will see an impressive melting-pot of food stalls. Next you have the clothes section and then the gold shops. (Tip: Do check the daily gold rate on the entrance sign before buying!) Next, you wil find the jewelry shops, followed by the hairdressers and beauty shops. On the other side you have all the souvenirs, artwork, crafts, silk and other products that will proof to be a good remembrance of Siem Reap and Angkor Wat.

Do make sure to visit the old market of Siem Reap now that it's still relatively authentic. It's conveniently located in the center of town and the perfect place to start the evening before heading to one of the surrounding restaurants. Or if you are a budget traveler, you can try one of the local restaurants inside the markt, offering a wide range of local food at very affordable prices. As mentioned before, late afternoon is probably the best time to visit the market. In the morning it's usually very busy and too crowed to browse around comfortably. 

Old market opening hours: every day from early morning till 20h00 (Some shops stay open until 21h00). Source from: Siem Reap

Old Market is so unique because it has a row of fresh produce flanked by clothes and bags booth. The best part is the floor is dry! Can you imagine you are looking at some bags, and you can hear fish flipping behind you? The fishes were still alive. I walked further in and the fresh produce section was at the end of the row.









This booth selling flat noodles caught my eye. I love flat noodles. I placed an order for a plate (which is very small, by the way) and a glass of pumpkin juice (because a lady next to me was having one). It was nothing extraordinary but I love my breakfast. Also, the lady fries her noodle using fire from charcoal. I realised, charcoal cooking is commonly use. It is cheaper than gas.




Fried noodles - KHR3000 / USD0.75 / RM3.30. Pumpkin juice - KHR1000 / USD0.25 / RM1.10. Total KHR4000 / USD1 / RM4.50. It is an affordable meal. 


After my meal, I ventured further into the Old Market. It was a maze. Sometimes, I find myself walking in circles. As all markets are, you can find clothes, bags, dry produce, souvenirs, flowers and almost everything you need for your household.



Lady in hijab - halal meat.



I did not know there are so many kinds of rice - Romduol Rice, Saravan Rice (produce by hand and no fertiliser), Romdoul Flower Rice, Jasmine Rice, Red Jasmine Rice, Black Sticky Rice, White Sticky Rice.


There are some spices being sold in this small little porcelain container.


I went one week before Chinese New Year, and hence, there are some Chinese New Year decorations being sold. Red lanterns and lots of flowers.




I walked out of the Old Market. Saw some 'fish-eat-dead-skin' spa. It is said to be ticklish and one will laugh. I saw one African customer who was laughing so hard and I am amazed that it was that ticklish. She attracted lots of onlookers to see what is she laughing about.   



This fruit smoothie seller attracted me because of the notices she hung around her mobile booth. I can't help but grin when I read them. So, I decided to buy one mango smoothie for USD1. It was very refreshing and cooling.








Saw a vendor that makes waffles using charcoal fire.




It was almost noon when I walked back towards my hostel. I passed by Asia Market and I wondered why is there an Asia Market in Cambodia, an Asian country. Turns out it was just the name of the market. They did sell other things besides asian food. Plus, the aircond was very welcoming.





This is not real weasel coffee. This is just the name of the coffee. If this is weasel coffee, it would have been too cheap. You can read my experience on tasting weasel coffee in Surabaya, Indonesia. You can read on the price difference between Indonesia and China, and you will know what I mean when I say this is cheap and it's just the brand name. Don't be deceived.


I did look at the price of the petrol in Siem Reap, and it is more expensive than in Malaysia. KHR3750 = RM4.10. Our cheapest petrol as at 5 February 2017 is RM2.30. Hence, you see more motorcycles on the road.


Time for a short nap.

No comments: