Sunday, January 10, 2016

Gunung Nuang : Jungle Trail Run 2015

Last year in November, I did my first jungle trail run in the mountain - Gunung Nuang Jungle Trail Run. 21km - the hike up and down the mountain. I have already expected it to be very difficult because I have never reached the peak before. I attempted the hike once in 2011 and I only made it to the last camp (Kem Pacat) before the peak. Back then, I was not very fit, and I was slow and did not try the peak. Well, I am not very fit now either, but I am better. 

Last year, my friend convinced me to join the Jungle Trail Run because he wanted to join. I know, that is not a very valid reason. How he convinced me - because I never made it to the peak before. I think, this is by far the most expensive trail run I have paid for. Trail runs need more preparations in anticipation of injured runners in the jungle. Before the actual day, my friend and I trained for the run twice in October. 

17102015 - Today is the day of our first practise to Gunung Nuang peak. My friend timed us to reach the peak in 5 hours and back in 5 hours. That is how most hikes on Gunung Nuang are. 10 hours generally. I thought to myself, that a trail run ought to be faster, but I was limited by my tired legs and wrong footwear. We met up with a new group of friends who guided us the way to midway. Neither me nor my friend knows the route, and not taking any chances, I wrote posts in various Facebook groups looking for friends who were going up Gunung Nuang. I was lucky to meet Haidher Aziz. They stopped till Kem Pacat.


 



At 12noon, my friend and I reached the peak. 5 hours as predicted. It was such a coincidence that both of us wore the same t-shirt. 
 
 

Right after my first practise, I went to look for a pair of trail shoes. My friend wore his orange Salomon shoes and his legs did not hurt at all. I, on the other hand, had aching soles and knees. I was wearing my Kampung Getah Adidas. I have always relied on my rubber shoes on all my hikes, but this time, I thought, that I ought to invest in a proper trail shoes. I went to Gardens and bought myself Inov8 trail run shoes. It was my friend who recommended to me this brand. He was gushing about it, and I have not the slightest idea on what sort of trail shoes to invest. So, it was in that shop, I googled on the difference between Salomon and Inov8 and which works best in Malaysian jungle terrain. The salesperson made a whole lot of difference. The salesperson in the Salomon shop was not able to give me information on what sort of shoes to get, whereas the salesperson in the 2XU shop (that sells Invo8) was explaining to me how he used Inov8 for his hikes. He told me that Inov8 is not a famous brand in Malaysia, but it is in the UK. I only know of Kilian Jornet, the ambassador for Salomon shoes whom I know from my friend too. However, I have yet to hear on who is the ambassador for Inov8 shoes. With a bit of hesitation, I bought my first pair of trail shoes, Inov8 X-Talon 212 for a not-very-cheap price of RM350++. I also need to thank a customer who is a trail runner whom I met in the Salomon shop. I asked him if he does trail run and he said yes. I asked him on what size I ought to get. He said that the key thing to see is that the shoes must have a 1 finger space (between the heel and the shoe) because when you run downhill, you need the space in your shoes.

31102015 - Today is our 2nd practise and I wore my brand new Inov8 shoes. It was comfortable, and not to mention, a very beautiful blue colour! As expected, a 5-hour to reach the peak.
 

We also included time for my friend to do his prayers in Kem Lolo upon our descent. It had been raining. While waiting for my friend, I did a selfie to show how dirty I am.


His Salomon and my Inov8. It was during the descend where I am so thankful that I bought my shoes. The grip was excellent in the mud, while my friend did slipped a bit. My shoes did not work too good on smooth wet tree trunks but in general, my shoes did save my legs. The terrain was so muddy and I cannot say how much grateful I am to my trail shoes.




We reached back in 4 hours, which is an hour earlier than our first practise. This was all thanks to my trail shoes. Unfortunately, I still did not feel good enough for the trail run. My friend was hiking at my pace and he is way faster than me. I felt so bad because he was not running at his true pace. I told him that I did not want to go for the actual day. He tried to convince me otherwise. The next night, I saw a post in Facebook about a man who climbed up Bukit Tabur with his hands as his legs ended at his knees. He was applauded by readers for his determination to finish the climb. I was so amazed at his true grit and mental strength. I told myself - Let's do this run.

081115 - Today is the day of the trail run. There was both 42km and 21km trail run. The 42km trail run started at 7am, whereas the 21km run started at 7.30am. There was a total of 62 female and 183 male runners for 21km, 58 male and 11 female for 42km. It rained during the ascending and the track got so muddy. It rained pretty heavy too. The river current was very strong. There were pools of muddy water along the trail and it even became a stream. Along the way, I did see a few 42km runners turn back because it was too muddy.



 

We reached the peak at 12.45pm, slightly more than our 5 hours. But thankfully, before the 1pm cut off time. I was lucky that one of the trail runners snap this photo of me. Here, the organiser is punching the hole on my bib to show that I have reached the peak so that I will not be disqualified (DSQ) or did not finish (DNF). We did the celebratory photo session on the peak. I was so happy that I reached the peak.
 


My friend does his prayers in the heavy rain, and I snapped a selfie showing my dirt-sprinkled face. My face was sprinkled with dirt as I wiped myself with my already-muddy soaked-wet t-shirt and sleeves.



We reached the finishing line at 5.23pm. It took us 9 hours 53 minutes. The cut-off time was 10 hours. We were slower than our training times because (1) the first 6km was a different route where we crossed a river (I lost count how many times and my feet cramped in the cold water) and it was absolutely muddy (from the heavy rain the night before) (2) the continuous rain which became a heavy downpour that subsequently drizzled during the trail run (3) the muddy slope as we descended, the puddles and the slippery rocks made us careful in our steps.





The results came out 2 days later and I was placed 42 out of 62 female runners in the 21km. My friend was at 128 (from 183) because he followed my pace. I felt bad because I knew his strength was double or multiple times of mine and he could have reached earlier. I am glad of my purchase of Inov8 shoes that save my feet and my life. The soles' grip is strong on the muddy slope that it stopped my fall. The t-shirt of the trail run states - 'Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.' I have tested myself but I will test my limits further as I take the challenge to build my strength. Maybe I could go faster. Just maybe.

No comments: