Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sweden : Part 18 - Day 7 Afternoon : Skogskyrkogarden

24092015 - After the visit to Stockholm Public Library, I boarded the train at Central Station to Skogskyrkogarden. It is a very long word. This is a UNESCO World Heritage Cemetery in Stockholm. To get here, I took the train to Skogskyrkogarden Train Station. I purchased the 24-hour travel pass that covers both train and buses. It was worth it for me to purchase the ticket because I was going to do frequent train hopping with my Swedish friend today. The travel pass costs SEK115. I know of this place because I googled for UNESCO areas in Stockholm.

Skogskyrkogården (official name in English: The Woodland Cemetery) is a cemetery located in the Enskededalen district south of central Stockholm, Sweden. Its design, by Gunnar Asplund and Sigurd Lewerentz, reflects the development of architecture from Nordic Classicism to mature functionalism. The basis for the route through the cemetery is a long route leading from the ornamental colonnaded entrance that then splits, one way leading through a pastoral landscape, complete with a large pond and a tree-lined meditation hill, and the other up to a large detached granite cross and the abstract portico of the crematorium and the chapels of the Holy Cross, Faith, and Hope. (Source from Wikipedia)




It is a free entrance to the Cemetery. I stepped inside and was very surprised by the size of the cemetery. I walked the gravel path, and detoured into a small path that had a small forest. It was so peaceful in the Cemetery. I even saw deers nibbling on the grass. Deers in a Cemetery - this place is really safe. I did not feel afraid walking here during the day but I am not sure if I share the same sentiments during the night. The Cemetery is very organised. The landscape is well maintained. Each plot is numbered, so you will be able to find any deceased person easily. There is also a watering can for anyone to water the flowers they planted. I got lost trying to find the exit of the place. I could not find anyone to ask for directions. Fortunately, there was a contractor doing painting works and he showed me the way to the main road.

















I went inside the Main Chapel, because a gardener volunteered to bring me in. I was so thankful he did that, because guided tours are only during weekends for a small fee. The chapel is serene and its design has a meaning of its own. It carries the theme 'Life, Death, Life'. The gardener explained to me the meaning of some of the designs.



Even the benches are designed in a way that one is able to face and talk to each other.



I went up the Meditation Hill. From the top of the hill, one can see the vast landscape of Skogskyrkogarden.








This post marks the end of my Sweden tour. I think I did a good job arranging the places to visit within this one week without prior research. I managed to visit the places with sufficient time. My legs are given a rest the next day. Honestly, my legs ache so bad and they dread to go for a walk each time I stepped outside the hostel's door. I enjoyed my trip thoroughly in Sweden. You have to go!

Here are the list of places I went to in Scandinavia (Norway and Stockholm) for the past 1 week. You can click on the link and be directed to the posts immediately.
Day 1 - Hoverberg, Fillstabacken Nature Reserve, Ostersund, Tannforsen, Vaerdalske Befestninger
Day 2 - Eggafosen, Roros, Meteorite crater in Funasdalen
Day 3 - Short walk in Stockholm Town and to flea market in Hotorget
Day 4 - Parliament, Riddarholmen, City Hall, IKEA
Day 5 - Drottningholm Palace, Royal Palace, Tre Kronor Museum and Treasury, Nobel Museum
Day 6 - Ostermalms Saluhall, Skansen, Nordic Museum
Day 7 - Stockholm Public Library, Skogskyrkogarden (this post)

No comments: