Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Sweden : Part 16 - Day 7 Morning : Public Library of Stockholm

24092015 - Today is a relaxing day for me but I am still going for a walk. So, I decided to visit Stockholm Public Library in the morning. It is very near my hostel. In fact, I just have to cross the road and walk 50 metres and be in front of the entrance. I have never been to any public libraries in any countries that I have visited. This is not a must-see place, but just a place I thought worth going in as recommended by my Swedish friend. It is free entrance. Well, I have never heard of paying a fee to enter a library anyway. Haha! That will discourage reading habit.



 
Check out the books arranged around the library. It is literally 'around the library'. I got a bit dizzy walking in circles, and became aware of the height I was at. So, I hurried down. I could not find any English books here, and found the English books in the foreign language section. Not many books.




Naked statue of Adam and Eve in the Public Library. There is a meaning to this small statue. They are actually the original brass door handle to the Library when the Library was opened in 1928. It was designed by Nils Sjogren. The handle depicted Eve holding the biblical fruit of knowledge, the apple, as one entered the library and Adam eating the apple on the way out. Very symbolical.



Kids' section is fun with videos, story telling, and board games.





I came out of the library and was walking towards Central Station when I noticed an Aftonbladet shop! The lady in Skansen was right. Aftonbladet still exists!


No comments: