Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sweden : Part 12 - Day 5 Evening : Nobel Museum

22092015 - Morning, I had explored Drottningholm Palace. Afternoon, I went to Royal Palace, The Tre Kronor Museum and The Treasury. Now, I find myself in Gamla Stan (the Royal Palace is a walking distance to Gamla Stan) and right in front of Nobel Museum. Who has not heard of Nobel Prize Awards? This is the country where Nobel Prize originated from.

 

The Nobel Museum is a museum devoted to circulate information on the Nobel Prize, Nobel laureates from 1901 to present, and the life of the founder of the prize, Alfred Nobel (1833-1896). The museum is, together with the Swedish Academy and the Nobel Library, located in the former Stock Exchange Building (Börshuset) taking up the north side of the square Stortorget in Gamla stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden. According to the manifesto of the museum the intentions are to be a "reflecting and go-ahead spirited memory of the Nobel laureates and their achievements as well as of the Nobel Prize and Alfred Nobel". To achieve these aims, the museum offers exhibitions, films, theatre plays, and debates related to science; besides the regular book and souvenir shops, and cafés usually found in museums. (Source from Wikipedia)


I stepped inside the Museum and paid the entrance fee of SEK100. A few minutes after I paid, Prof Sweet Tooth, my Swedish penpal whom I have travelled to Pyrenees with, messaged me and when I told him on my whereabouts, he told me that it is free on Tuesdays, after 5pm! I was in disbelief as I was just 20 minutes to 5pm. ARGH. SEK100 is so expensive for me! On Tuesdays, the Museum was opened till 8pm. So, it was free from 5pm to 8pm. I never knew about this information. It was then I realised that some of the Museums in Stockholm are opened till 8pm on certain days only. The prices of the entrance tickets are either reduced or free for those certain days that are opened till 8pm. I think it depends on season too. It is Autumn when I was there. I just went into the website and saw that the Museum is opened till 8pm everyday in Winter. This is what happens when you don't do research on places of visit - you spend money unnecessarily. Expensive lesson learnt!

The Museum showcases some of the inventions from famous Nobel scientists, videos of the Nobel winners, moving cardboards that hung from the ceilings that illustrate on the Nobel winners, and the history of Alfred Nobel, founder of Nobel Prize.



 


The name of the video that is being played in the theater.









The significant item that assisted the Nobel Prize winner with their work.




 


 




The Will of Mr Alfred Nobel on using his wealth to reward the prize winners.





The must-have souvenir shop in all Museums.









Mr Alfred Nobel on the floor.



After spending an amount of time which I feel it is worth my SEK100, Prof Sweet Tooth and I left the Museum. Prof Sweet Tooth had met me at Nobel Museum shortly after 5pm. Now, he brings me for a walk around Stockholm to show me the directions to my next-day destination. Along the way, he showed to me a statue which was in front of the Royal Dramatic Theatre and on the same road as Ostermalms Food Market. He told me to touch the tummy of the statue and I was wary of his suggestion. He kept pestering me to do it, and I found it to be warm. It helps the homeless and beggars a lot as there are some number of them in Stockholm. I really love the Swedes' creativity in creating such a statue.


No comments: