Sunday, September 18, 2022

Munich & Bolzano: Part 8 - Day 6: Cable car to Dolomites - UNESCO World Heritage

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 6.

4/8 Day 6: Took the bus 170 to Seis and then the cable car up to the Dolomites. Hiked different routes. 

Must-Incur Costs
(1) 1 day MobilCard pass - EUR15. We used the pass to board the Bus 170 to Seis. Same pass that I bought on Day 5
(2) Cable car (with return) to the ski resorts - EUR20. We did not know that the MobilCard pass is not applicable for these cable cars.

Optional Costs
(1) Breakfast Vital Coffee - Cappucino EUR2, Sandwich gourmet crudo EUR6, a gelato with 2 scoops EUR3,50 (3 scoops cost EUR4,50)
(2) Tips at Vital Coffee EUR1,60 (my friend generously left a tip)
(3) Lunch at Lavin Hytte - Speckknödel (bacon dumpling) soup EUR9, Hefe alcohol-free 500ml EUR5,80 
(4) Radler Beer at Almrosen Hytte - EUR5,60
(5) 3 Beer at Seis skicenter - EUR15
(6) Dinner at Batzenhäus - Red Frida sour beer 300ml EUR3,50; Baeurn Gröstel for EUR14,50, shared bread between 3 of us for EUR3

The Story
040822 - Breakfast is at the same place we had our gelato yesterday. The cappucino here is very affordable at EUR2 which if converted is SEK23. I have not seen a SEK23 cappucino in Sweden yet. Even the brewed (cheapest) coffee is SEK25. 



Today, we hike a different area of the Dolomites. We took bus 170 to Seis Skicenter which took about 40 minutes. This place is very packed during winter. We bought the same mobilcard pass that we bought yesterday but did not realise that this pass cannot be used for the cable car from the skicenter. That requires another pass which is more expensive.






When we reached the top, we could feel a huge difference with the temperature. It was 22 degrees and so much cooler than the 38 degrees in Bolzano town. Although it was cooling, I lathered myself with lots of sunblock because it was a very cloudless day. Also, look at the number of routes that one can attempt to hike around the mountains.






My two companions made the decision on which route to take while I just tagged along and took lots of photos. The place is so scenic and it is like a postcard wherever I turn. I was so tempted to stop many times to take lots of photos but after a while, I realised that the scenery was pretty much similar. We were very lucky to have such clear weather! 

Our first route will lead us to a lunch stop at Laurin Hytte which is 2018m above sea level. It was a bit of huffing and puffing to walk the route. As you can, the path is very well-paved and it is very suitable for strollers too because I saw some.




We saw our lunch stop from afar and my companions were in a hurry to get there to drink beer.




Lunch with a view!





My companions had cold plate for lunch - one is a cold plate of cheese (EUR13,50) and another is a cold plate of meat and bacon (EUR14). 


This is my lunch - a typical Tyrolean dish - bacon dumplings soup. I thought the dish looked sad with 2 giant bacon dumplings but they are quite filing. Presentation-wise - not appetising. 


The hike continues on. We wanted to cover as much as we can as the last cable car is at 7pm.




Then, I saw this on the path! Dolomites - UNESCO World Heritage. It was such a huge surprise for me because I did not know that Dolomites is a UNESCO site. What a bonus for me! I love looking out for UNESCO sites. 




Next rest / beer stop - Almrosen Hytte. It was such a nice feeling to find a lazy chair and rest my legs while having my radler. 



It was a short break and we quickly hurried back to the ski station. 




Can you see the difference in the height? We are at 1857m above sea level which is 22.3 degrees and we are going back down to 1012m above sea level where it is so hot and humid at 38 degrees.. Ugh.




We took the bus back from the skicenter to Bolzano town. It was almost sunset and the heat was not killing us so bad. For dinner, we found a German restaurant. I had sour beer and farmer's Gröstl which is a mix of bacon, onion, and potato fry-up and served with coleslaw. In Sweden, this is something similar to pyttipanna. 

No comments: