Monday, December 30, 2019

Kebnekaise: Part 5 - Day 5 and 6: Helicopter ride back to Nikkaluokta

Day 5 and 6
Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 5 and 6.

5/8 Day 5: Helicopter ride back to Nikkaluokta. 1650 hours bus back to Kiruna and 1832 hours overnight train ride back to Stockholm Central station.

6/8 Day 6: Arrival in Stockholm Central station at 0945 hours.

Must-Incur Costs
None

Optional Costs
Day 5
(1) Helicopter ride from Kebnekaise Mountain Station to Nikkaluokta SEK850
(2) Lunch minced moose loaf with potatoes SEK175 and beer SEK60 at Nikkaluokta
(3) Dinner on the train SEK74

Day 6
(1) Breakfast package SEK65

The Story
05082019: The next morning, it was tough for us to walk. I had a tough time getting up when I squatted. I squatted while brushing my teeth and I called for my friend to pull me up. It was hilarious! We decided to take the helicopter back as we could not walk 19km back and we doubted that we had enough time as our bus ride back to Kiruna was at 1650 hours. We purchased the helicopter ride on the same morning, about an hour before the scheduled ride at 0845 hours. 




We packed the tent and our stuff, and hurried to the helicopter pad which was near the mountain station. There was a number of people at the pad and we queued up for the ride. Each ride can take up to 6 people. The two lightest sit in front. I got to sit in front with a teenager and the pilot. It was a 6-minute ride only but I was thankful for the flight. It was my first time on a helicopter ride too.






We arrived at Nikkaluokta, wandered around till it was lunch time, and had our lunch. We took älgfärslimpa (minced moose loaf) with potatoes and sauce. Lunch included salad, bread, a cold drink and coffee or tea. Since we had so much time to spare, we sat and enjoyed the view.





Then, it was the bus and train ride back to Stockholm.

I am happy and proud of myself that I completed the hike. This is my second attempt. In my first attempt in the summer of 2018, I hiked for about 6 hours and turned back due to bad weather and insufficient rest (my whole body stiffed up due to no sleep for 24 hours). 

I am happy that I did this hike with these 2 Swedish guys. They were organised, reasonable and calm. Despite being slightly expensive. Haha! Thanks guys for making a memorable history with me! 

Kebnekaise, checked! 

No comments: