Saturday, August 18, 2018

Oslo and Bergen: Part 5 - Day 3: Norway in a Nutshell - Leg 1 (Oslo to Myrdal)

Day 3

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 3.

4/8 Day 3: Norway in a nutshell - Leg 1 (Oslo to Myrdal) -- Leg 2 (Myrdal to Flåm) -- Leg 3 (Flåm to Gudvangen) -- Leg 4 (Gudvangen to Voss) -- Leg 5 (Voss to Bergen)

Must-Incur Costs


(1) Norway-in-a-nutshell package: NOK2250 (It is a lot for me, but I did not hesitate for a bit because I wanted to meet my penpal again!)

The Story

040818: My penpal mentioned to me that she will be in Norway and invited me to join her and her mum, which I agreed to immediately because I have no idea on when is our next chance. They have chosen 'Norway-in-a-nutshell' package (from Fjord Tours) that is a single day package where one will be taking different transportation (train, ferry and bus) from Oslo to Bergen. I guess it is a summarised version of the entire of Norway, hence nutshell. 

We started the tour from Oslo Sentral Railway Station. We got our tickets printed out at NSB Ticketing Office which is at Oslo Sentral too, a day before to avoid the hassle plus NSB Ticketing Office don't open so early. The train ride started at 8.25am and we are expected to arrive at 9pm in Bergen. Everything in this package is well-organised and all transportation are well-connected. It was just simply amazing. I had no regrets going on this tour and I had the best company with me. 

The first leg - train ride from Oslo to Myrdal. 8.25am to 12.58pm. The train has good facilities - socket, clean toilets, WiFi, cafe, comfortable seats. I got the window seat and I had good views! The seat numbers were pre-allocated.






The first part of the journey was a bit boring. The views were no different than in Sweden. It got breath-taking at the last 2 hours of the ride. The rocky hills, the lakes, the shrubs, the different shades of greens, the dramatic clouds.. I wished I could cycle on those routes or stay there for a few days. Somehow, the terrains reminded me of the Pyrenees.

Check out the photos. They speak louder than my lame descriptions. 





























The train did stop at a few stations for about 5 minutes but I never got down. Do you agree that the views were superb?

No comments: