Thursday, August 16, 2018

Oslo and Bergen: Part 4 - Day 2 Evening: Vigelandsparken, Frognerseteren Restaurant

Day 2 (Evening)

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 2 Evening. 

3/8 Day 2: City Hall -- Vigelandsparken -- Frognerseteren Restaurant

Optional Costs

(1) Norwegian Ice-cream: NOK16
(2) Apple cake with whipped cream: NOK65

(3) 24-hour bus pass: NOK105

The Story

Once I was done with City Hall, I detoured to 7-11 to get myself an ice-cream. Well, actually, it was mostly for me to buy a 24-hour bus pass but I got that at Narvesen shop instead because the machine in 7-11 was not working. I got a local ice-cream which melted pretty fast. It was good, nonetheless. 


I took the tram and bus to Vigelandsparken which is a sculpture park. The sculptures here are superb and detailed and just jaw-dropping. All the sculptures here are naked to represent timeless - the sculptures here will be relevant at any time.







The 20 tree groups were all modelled between 1906 and 1914. Beneath the crown of the trees the life of man, from cradle to grave, unfolds. Our time on earth is at the same time only a part of an eternal cycle with no beginning and no end. After the tree group with the skeleton which is about to decay in nature, follows a tree full of children: From death arises new life. Source from Vigeland.




On the highest point of the park, on the Monolith Plateau, rise circular stairs towards the Monolith. The figural part, with 121 figures, is 14.12 m and the total height, including the plinth, is 17.3 m high. The Monolith was carved from one single granite block, hence the name (mono: one, litho: stone). Whereas the melancholy theme in the fountain is the eternal life cycle, the column gives room to a totally different interpretation: Man's longing and yearning for the spiritual and divine. Is the column to be understood as man's resurrection? The people are drawn towards heaven, not only characterised by sadness and controlled despair, but also delight and hope, next to a feeling of togetherness, carefully holding one another tight in this strange sense of salvation. Source from Vigeland.







The Wheel of life, modelled in 1933-34. The wheel is a symbol of eternity and is here executed as a garland of women, children and men holding on to each other. In a sense, this sculpture sums up the dramatic theme of the entire park: Man's journey from cradle to grave, through happiness and grief, through fantasy, hope and wishes of eternity. Source from Vigeland.


Next - took the train to the last station Frognerseteran at Line 1. My host told me that there is a lovely cafe on top of a small hill overlooking a view of Oslo. And taste the apple cake. Also, sit at the second floor of the cafe to see the view.




I did not expect the apple cake to be so huge! Not to mention sweet too. Priced at NOK65, I thought it was affordable for that size. 




Occasionally, my own face needs to appear on my blog. Haha!


I took the train back to my host's place. I needed to take this photo in the train station because I wanted to show how much trust the Norwegians have with one another. Can you see the large space next to the ticket barriers? Yes, a dishonest person can just ignore the ticket barrier and go through the large space and into the train. There will be random ticket checks about 3 times per week in the trains. I have never ever seen this in any of the countries I have visited! Never. In Stockholm, I have seen a couple of tailgaters - ticket barriers in Stockholm stations are sensitive and they stay opened as long as one is very close to the front person. 


Back at my host's place - he prepared dinner for me - salmon, mashed sweet potato, tomatoes, sour cream, and strawberries and carrot cake for dessert. This is in addition to the breakfast he made for me this morning - dried bread with cheese and butter. I was so touched by his actions. He really made my first experience with Coachsurfing so memorable. Such a kind and beautiful soul he is. Truly, I felt so lucky to cross paths with him, to click on his name as a host and for him to click accept. 


Thanks, Thomas! I can't thank you enough for your hospitality but I am so grateful. How can anyone be so generous to a stranger? Yes, such person exists and I count my lucky stars that I met one of them. 

No comments: