Saturday, August 12, 2017

Holland : Part 8 - Day 5 Evening: Flea Market and Flower Market

Day 5 of Holland Drive

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 5. 

19/7 Day 5: Rijksmuseum -- Flea Market -- Flower Market -- Museumplein: Spent 3 days in Amsterdam (from 18/7 to 20/7) 

Must-Incur Costs

None

Optional Costs 

(1) Vegetarian burger (EUR6), Cheese hamburger (EUR6.50) and Fanta (EUR3) - EUR15.50
(2) Juice from Albert Heijn Store - EUR2.09
(3) Roasted Peking Duck (1/4 portion) and rice from Chinatown - EUR13.10

The Story

190717 : After the walk in Rijksmuseum which we completed about 5pm, we walked over to the Flea Market because all flea markets are Prof Sweet Tooth favourite place. Thankfully, some of the stalls were still opened. We suspected the place closed by 5pm. In Prof Sweet Tooth opinion, this is not much of a flea market. There don't seem to be any old stuff for sale. Now, you can't doubt his area of expertise in flea market. Flea markets are like his second home. In fact, most of the stuff in his home are bought from the flea market. So, you can imagine how disappointed he was when he saw this flea market.






Our dinner was burger. Which was just in front of the tram station we stopped at. Sorry, but I can't remember the tram station. Prof Sweet Tooth just came out randomly. The french fries looked so tempting but I stopped myself from placing an order because french fries are so common everywhere and I am supposed to try local food. Well, there is nothing local about vegetarian burger and hamburger. Haha! I am not sure if it is even more healthy either. I remembered I don't like the bread though because it was dry and plain. Prof Sweet Tooth did not finish his bread.









After dinner, we walked to the canal and found ourselves in front of the Flower Market. Yay to that. That was supposed to be part of the itinerary for tomorrow morning but now we can do it this evening. We thought we cannot see it because I read that the Flower Market closes by 5pm. But it was past 6pm, and some of the stalls were still opened. 











As it was still early, we decided to go back to Museumplein (which has the I AMSTERDAM words) and sit by the man-made pool. You can see many people soaking their legs inside due to the heat. I thought it will be nice too until I realised that the water is not as warm as I hoped for. 





Before we got back, we stopped in China Town to fulfil one of Prof Sweet Tooth's cravings for roasted duck which he saw hanging at the window shop when we were walking in China Town. The rice is a big portion. I just had the rice with dark soy sauce and it tasted so good because I have been missing rice. Prof Sweet Tooth had the duck and he said it was not up to his Swedish taste buds. 

No comments: