Monday, August 7, 2017

Holland : Part 5 - Day 4 Afternoon: Albert Cuyp Market

Day 4 (Afternoon) of Holland Drive

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 4 Afternoon. 

18/7 Day 4: Tulip Inn Amsterdam Riverside -- Take train to Centraal Station -- Walk to Albert Cuyp Market : Spent 3 days in Amsterdam (from 18/7 to 20/7) 

Must-Incur Costs

None

Optional Costs 

(1) 3-day train ticket for 2 persons - EUR34
(2) 2 Waffles (Strawberry jam; and Chocolate Chip with Nutella) in Albert Cuyp Market - EUR8.50
(3) Spinach wrap in Albert Cuyp Market - EUR3

The Story

180717 Afternoon : Check-in done at Tulip Inn. Clean up done. The bath was so badly needed after 2.5 days in the car. It was a sunny day worthy of sunglasses. I would have like to wear sleeveless or shorts but I was afraid it will be cold by evening. Plus, you cannot predict if it will rain. It was a 13-minute walk to Gaasperplas train station. There were a few people walking with us too. When we walked back at night, there were people with us too, and I suspected they were all guests of the same hotel. Haha! Also, Tulip Inn = Golden Tulip.

Time to explore Amsterdam! Let's go!




This is Gaasper Camping. Here is the free parking area.


The Metro Station has the logo M. Sweden has the logo 'T' and 'P' for their train and commuter station. It is pretty good actually because it will let tourists know that this is a train station. With my terrible sense of direction, I could easily identify where is the train station when I see this huge box from afar, and I breath a sigh of relief because I know somehow, I can get around easier. I think the same should be adopted in Malaysia. Haha! 



We bought the 3-day ticket where we can take the bus, tram and train as many times as we wish. Remember to choose 'Buy disposable OV-chipkaart -- GVB 72 hours (or 24 hours or 48 hours). It took us some time to fiddle with the machine to locate where is this option (as advised by the hotel). One local lady could not find this option. Odd. We let someone behind us to go ahead and she chose the same option as us and finally found the way. By the way, the screen sensor is not that sensitive, and we had to press a few times. 

1-day ticket = EUR7.50
2-day ticket = EUR12.50
3-day ticket = EUR17






Bicycles are allowed in the train too. And the tram too. 


It was about a 20-minute ride to Centraal Station. Our train station (Gaasperplas) is the last station. Here, our first place of visit is Albert Cuyp Market! Based on Prof Sweet Tooth sense of direction and the map he is holding, he says the place is very near. It was 3pm and the place closes by 5pm.






We got to Albert Cuyp Market in time! At 3.20pm, including me stopping for photo breaks. The market opens everyday except Sundays from 9am to 5pm. 

The Albert Cuyp Market is a street market in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, on the Albert Cuypstraat between Ferdinand Bolstraat and Van Woustraat, in the De Pijp area of the Oud-Zuid district of the city. The street and market are named for Albert Cuyp, a painter from the 17th century.

The product selection at the market varies from the traditional range of vegetables, fruit and fish to clothing and even cameras. There are many products sold that are of interest to the city's residents of Surinamese, Antillean, Turkish, and Moroccan origin, giving the market and neighbourhood a strong multicultural feel.

The market is the busiest in all of the Netherlands and is reputedly the largest daytime market in Europe. It is also an important tourist attraction. The famous Dutch Stroopwafels are prepared fresh here. Source from Wikipedia.



Yup, there is Wi-Fi in this street market. It certainly is similar to Malaysia China Town on Petaling Street. What I look for is food! I want to try their street food. 










Beautiful flowers! Is EUR10 expensive for a bouquet of wild flowers?






Aha. My first food pit stop. The smell from this place was so fragrant that I had to buy something. Plus the display was very inviting. I had chocolate chip with nutella and cream while Prof Sweet Tooth had strawberry toppings. Gosh, my waffle was so sweet. I had trouble finishing it. So, this is not a local food as it is from Belgium. Haha!



This must be one of the most-photographed person in Albert Cuyp Market.





Then, I saw my next food stop - Wrap. I was a bit stuffed from my waffle but I did not mind trying this wrap. The man was very loud and he has a cheery voice welcoming customers. I chose the spinach wrap because I guess it could be the less filling. The wrap was folded into 4 and it became small in my hands. It was salty though. I guess it offsets my very sweet waffle. Also, I suspect this is not a local food either.. Haha!





Now, time to burn off all the food by walking around town.

No comments: