Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pyrenees : Part 29 - Day 15 Evening : Reeperbahn

Day 15 of Pyrenees Drive

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 15

Route:
Chimay, Belgium -- Hamburg, Germany -- Flensburg (sleep for the night)

Must-Incur Costs :

None incurred today

The Story

150915 : We left France the night before. We had slept in Chimay, Belgium. Our drive continues on to the north and we passed through Germany. There are not much photos today because we rarely stopped, but I would like to share my sausage-eating experience in Germany. It is a must-eat food in Germany, hence my request to Prof Sweet Tooth for us to have a German sausage. Hence, we detour to Hamburg and strolled through Reeperbahn. I had a shock as I walked along the streets. Homeless. Beggars. Sex shops. You could said I was scared walking the roads. I did entered one of the sex shops and got very bored by it. Lots of dildos, sex clothes, sex videos, sex toys and whatever you read in 50 Shades of Grey.

The Reeperbahn is a street in Hamburg's St. Pauli district, one of the two centres of Hamburg's nightlife and also the city's red-light district. In German it is also sometimes described as die sündigste Meile (the most sinful mile). (Source from Wikipedia)








We found a diner that was Trip Advisor recommended. Bad decision to rely on Trip Advisor sticker! I saw that the menu served sausages, so I pestered Prof Sweet Tooth to enter as he contemplated.

 




I ordered a sort of breakfast set - 5 sausages with fried egg and fried potatoes and a pickled gherkin which was oily. EUR9.80. Prof Sweet Tooth replaced my sausages with meatloaf. EUR10.90. His was better than mine. My sausages were a disappointment as they were short and small! Another mistake we made was also to have water which was EUR4 a glass. The most expensive water I have ever drank. I should have ordered beer instead. Since then, I do not believe in a Trip Advisor sticker.






I left the diner a disgruntled person. The Universe must have heard me complaining and put me on the same street as a food stall that sold sausages! Oh my goodness. The largest longest sausages ever! It looks so tempting. That is what I call a German sausage! I told Prof Sweet Tooth that I have to get one! Please! He agreed and shared a EUR4 sausage with me. It was so worth it. It came with a bread and I think that is to reduce the oiliness in our throat.







The drive continues through the night to Flensburg, Germany where we slept by the roadside in our favourite sleeping bags.

No comments: