Friday, October 20, 2023

Edinburgh: Part 6 - Day 5: Fairy Pools, Neist Point Lighthouse

Day 5

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 5. 

27/9 Day 5: Fairy Pools, Talisker Distillery, Neist Point Lighthouse

Costs
(A) Food
(1) Lunch at The Old Inn - Beer battered fish and chips £17, Soft drink £1.70, baked sea trout £22
(2) Dinner at Tomita Sushi restaurant - Pork gyoza £7.80, Fried beef udon £18, Chicken teriyaki with steamed rice £18.50, Kirin beer £5.50, and service charge 10% of £4.98. Total £54.78

(B) Parking fee
(1) Fairy Pools - £6 for 14 hours. 
(2) Long time parking at Portree - £2

(C) Petrol at Portree Petrol Station - £32.14 (1liter = £1.549)

The Story
27092023: Second day on Isle of Skye. Today, we drive the other side of the island. It is recommended to have two full days on Isle on Skye to visit and hike the must-see places. 


First, breakfast! Today, I had black pudding and porridge as my hot meal in addition to the yoghurt with granola. My boyfriend chose pancakes. Everything was good! I decided that I need not be so full today as I will not be hiking a lot.




The drive from the Bed and Breakfast to Fairy Pools took us about 40 minutes. Fairy Pools is a series of small waterpools. We spent two hours there and paid so much for parking! Ridiculous that we were expected to be there for 14 hours. Fairy Pools pales in comparison with yesterday's visit on the Trotternish Loop. We walked as long and far as we can and spent 2 hours there. 



One can take the bus here too from Portree. It is not very frequent though - departure from Portree at 10am, 12pm and 5pm. The bus stop is in front of the toilet which is in the car park. 






From the car park, we crossed the road to the other side to walk on a trail leading to the small pools. It was a downwards slope and I was dreading when I have to walk back as it will be an uphill slope. 




The beginning of the trail offered many small waterfalls and pools that were very blue. Some took a dip in the pools. I was afraid that it is deep so I am not taking any risk. I think my legs will cramp in the cold waters. As we walked further, there were no more waterfalls but a long stream. 





Next stop - Talisker Distillery. I did not book any tickets for the whisky tour and tasting in the distillery as I was unsure what time we will arrive. Also, it means only one of us can taste the whisky. We reached the distillery in 15 minutes. It was very near. We did not buy any whisky because it was more expensive buying here than back in Sweden due to the weak Swedish currency.



I read that The Old Inn near the distillery was a good place to have lunch. Good thing we arrived before the lunch hour because a queue began to form to wait for a table. Luckily, there is no booking required for this place. We walked to The Old Inn from the distillery. There was no parking fee required at the distillery's car park and was lucky to get a spot. Otherwise, one can park at The Old Inn too but there were limited spaces. I was keen to try fish and chips again and it was a good choice. This place has the BEST fish and chips! The batter was mixed with beer. The fish and chips here costs 50 pence more than the first one I had at Innis & Gunn Pub in Edinburgh. 






Next destination - Neist Point Lighthouse. It was a scenic drive to the lighthouse. We stopped for a while to enjoy the view.




It started to rain during our drive. The drive took us 1 hour. When we arrived there, it was pouring and it was VERY WINDY! The path to the lighthouse was very easy but the strong wind made it not easy at all. I thought I was going to be blown off and I had to hold on to my boyfriend's hands. You have to experience this to understand what I mean by VERY WINDY! It does not help that it was raining too. I received so much water slaps on my face that it hurts.







The lighthouse is locked and we could not go in. So, we explored the area. 



Can you see how strong the wind is? I could even see my scalp!




I had to tighten my hood over me so that my hair will stick inside and not fly all over my face.

<






When we reached back, we saw some tourists who arrived and turned back. We spent 1 hour in this place. It was sufficient! I was very happy to be back in the car. 

Now, we head back to Portree to have dinner. There was no space in the parking lot in the town centre. It is free parking in the parking space in the town centre after 6pm. So, we drove to the long-time parking lot and had to pay. We went back to the Japanese restaurant that we had yesterday as it does not need booking. My boyfriend withdrew money out from a cash withdrawal machine as the restaurant accepted cash only based on yesterday's experience. But it turned out the restaurant owner got a card payment terminal today and one could pay by credit card. Oh well. We paid by cash, regardless. We shared an appetiser, pork gyoza and I had a plate of noodles.



What a day! I was really satisfied with my two full days in Isle of Skye and I was ready to leave the place. 

No comments: