Saturday, June 3, 2023

Dunedin: Part 5 - Day 6: Convocation at Otago University

Day 6

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 6.

13/5 Day 6: Sister's convocation at Otago University

Costs
Day 6
(1) Lunch treat by my sister's supervisor at Maggies - Green bowl $20, chai latte $5.50
(2) Dinner at Futomaki, a Japanese-Filipino restaurant - Bangsilog (fried milk fish) $21.50, Grilled liempo (grilled marinated pork belly) $23.50, Longsilog (pork sausage) $21.50

The Story
130523: Today is my sister's convocation! It is a beautiful day I am happy that I get to be here. It might be a slightly long journey to go for a convocation but it is a new place, so why not. Plus, I got to do some new activities too. We had a brunch in the morning. Then, we went to a specific spot, which is in front of the clock towe, to take her photos. I took this opportunity to take a photo with her flower bouquet. 


After the photo session, we went to a farmer's market. I saw two interesting products for sale - pork brain and pig snout. I asked the farmer how does one cook the pork brain. He said to stir-fry it. Not to forget, a packet of pork brain is from 6 pigs. I do not have any culinary adventure in me, so I withheld myself from buying it. I did not know one can eat the brain and snout of a pig. I just googled on this two products and people have been eating them. Pig snout tastes almost like bacon and pork brain has  a velvety structure and is full of nutrients. I am still not convinced to eat them.  



Here is a coffee cup library found in the market. You can return the coffee cup although I am not sure if you get a cheaper coffee by doing that.


For lunch, her supervisor treated us at Maggies where I tasted a very nice plate of salad and a yummy cup of chai latte. I was very stuffed from brunch so I took a salad bowl - a light version for me. 


Her convocation was at 4pm. I learnt something new today, as in now when I am typing this post. There is a difference between convocation, commencement and graduation. 

1. Convocation is an event where individuals are given recognition where the student's name is called and the student crossed the stage to receive congratulations. - the event that I attended.
2. Commencement is a university-wide celebration.
3. Graduation is the completion of all degree requirements. This is not an event.


For dinner, my sister would like to eat at a Japanese-Filipino restaurant. I could not see from the menu if there was any fusion of the two cultures. We had Filipino food. Very filling with the rice in the dish!

No comments: