Saturday, October 8, 2022

Nice: Part 3 - Day 3: Cours Saleya market, ticking off 'must-try' food list

Day 3

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 3

27/9 Day 3: Cours Saleya market and ticking off my 'must-try' food list - Salad Nicoise and Pastis de Nice.

Must-Incur Costs
None

Optional Costs
Food
(1) Breakfast set at Les Délices de la République - Two small pastries, coffee espresso and orange juice EUR5,65
(2) Lunch at Lou Trambalan - Salad Nicoise EUR14,90 (mine); Canne ponis EUR13 (his); coffee espresso EUR1,50
(3) Crepe at Le Kalice cafe - EUR5
(4) Dinner at La Giostra - Lamb shank EUR25 (very salty sauce), a glass of red wine EUR8,50 

The Story
27092022: Today morning started with a visit in a vegetable and fruit shop on the way to our breakfast place. I love stopping by at fruit and vegetable markets to see what the locals eat. I was so amazed by the size of the tomatoes they had - SO RED AND HUGE AND AFFORDABLE! We decided that we will buy these tomatoes tomorrow. 


Bell peppers were very cheap. Red ones for EUR2,95 per kg (SEK33/kg) and yellow ones for EUR3,50 per kg (SEK39/kg). We get cheap bell peppers during summer only for SEK29,95/kg if they are on discount. Otherwise red ones cost SEK79,90/kg and yellow ones cost SEK69,90/kg. Writing this makes my eyes go wide open!


Tomatoes - Beef tomatoes for EUR4,50/kg (SEK50/kg). Okay, I do not buy beef tomatoes because they are very expensive in Sweden. Even just normal red round small tomatoes cost SEK59,90/kg. During the summer, these cost SEK29,95/kg if they are on discount. Otherwise, plant your own.



The bananas were not so cheap here. EUR1,95 per kg. That is about SEK22 per kg in Sweden which is the price without discounts. I usually buy bananas when they are on discounted prices for e.g. SEK13,90 per kg. 


We passed by a bakery that sells macarons and in France, of course, one must buy macarons since it is a confection from France! 



We had breakfast at the same place that we had yesterday. We like the breakfast set idea - buns or pastries with coffee and orange juice.



We decided to go to Cours Saleya market after breakfast to see the range of flowers and vegetables. This must be a tourist destination because I could see lots of tourists. And the prices of vegetables are tourist prices too. The beef tomatoes here cost EUR5,80/kg while the one that we visited this morning sold their beef tomatoes for EUR4,50/kg. We saw a Chez Theresa stall that is famous for its socca in Nice. It was close yesterday as it was a Monday. Most stalls are close on Mondays in Nice. The price for a socca in Chez Theresa stall is cheaper here compared to the socca we had for dinner yesterday (EUR3,40) although I am not sure of the portion in Chez Theresa stall. 









Very beautiful sundried tomatoes. I would have wanted to buy them but I was not sure if I could them bring back to Sweden.


Candied fruits sold here too.





We found a cactus plant that is almost as tall as me!


We found a lunch place (Lou Trambalan) outside of town. We explored the non-tourist areas where the locals live. In the lunch place, no one spoke English. That is how non-tourist it is. When we asked for the menu, the lady boss came with a giant menu! I thought it was a smart idea! She brought the menu around to the tables.




I was very excited when I saw Salad Nicoise on the menu as I read that it is a must-eat food. I ordered it and honestly, I was very disappointed when I saw it because it is quite similar to my tuna fish salad that my boyfriend usually fix at home. This salad has anchovies, tomatoes, tuna fish, boiled egg, artichokes and olive. So, our tuna fish salad don't usually have anchovies and artichokes because those are expensive. Anyway, I googled to find out what is the hoo-haa behind Salad Nicoise. It turns out that Gordon Ramsay commented that "it must be the finest summer salad of all". It is overrated, in my opinion. 


My boyfriend had the suggested dish of the day - canne ponis which is meat fillings in rolled pasta. Very yummy. I liked it!



Gastronomic adventures continues with us tasting a spinach omelette. It reminded me of something similar I had in Holland - spinach wrap. The green colour is so tempting and I suppose, my appeal in colours has not changed. Well, this is not in my 'must-try' food list but I saw this quite often on display and so I bought a slice. I do not remember the price of this slice that I bought but a slice of spinach omelette costed EUR3,45 in the cafe that we had our breakfast this morning


I checked my 'must-try' food list and on the list is a liquor called Pastis de Nice. We walked around town looking for this liquor. Our legs were really tired but my boyfriend was very adamant to find this liquor. Finally, we found it in a liquour store in the old town which was near Cours Saleya market. We bought the small bottle (10cl) for EUR10 and the bottle is still in our cabinet. Such an expensive liquour! Tourist trap. 


As we were back in the old town again, we took photos with #ilovenice where there was a long queue for this phot spot. 




Tea break at Le Kalice to have crepe.


The walking tour guide that we did yesterday told us to pay a visit to Molinard if we have the opportunity. It is a perfume shop where one can create their own smell and this smell will be stored in this shop forever and you can always come back to purchase your created smell. It was a really fancy place, and no, I did not create my own smell because I was pretty sure it will be expensive and I do not use perfume, In fact, the fragrance in the shop was very overwhelming for me.


For dinner, we tried a restaurant at Garibaldi Square which means it is expensive. We were tired by this time and I just agreed to the suggested place. I had lamb shank and the sauce was so salty. When I told the waiter about it when we were going to pay, he replied that I should have informed earlier so that they can change the dish for me. Oh well.

No comments: