Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Munich & Bolzano: Part 1 - Day 1 & 2 morning: Train ride from Stockholm to Munich

I just got back from a trip - this time by train! What an experience! I RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE! I admit that I was nervous to travel again and I did not know where to start my research. I was worried that I will fall sick from Covid which eventually I did but after I got back. Third time, by the way, with Covid. 

In this trip, we took a train from Stockholm to Bolzano which is located in the north of Italy. I was excited by the idea of taking a train across countries and I booked my trip as described in the train's website. During the trip, my friend commented that one can travel back from another place and do not need to travel back the same way one travel from. I smacked myself mentally because I was annoyed that I did not think of that when I planned for trip! In my previous trips, I usually travel to a place and travel back from another place so that I can see more places. Damn it... how could I have forgotten that!

Anyway, I am pleased with how the trip went. This is the summary of the trip: Stockholm --> Munich, Germany (stay 2 nights) --> Bolzano, Italy (stay 4 nights) --> Munich, Germany (stay 2 nights) --> Stockholm

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 1 and 2.

30/7 Day 1: Overnight Snälltåget (the friendly train) from Stockholm Central Station to Hamburg station. The train came on time at 1615 hours. 

31/7 Day 2: We arrived at Hamburg at 0554 hours. From Hamburg, we took the connecting train (inter-city express - ICE) to Munich at 0736 hours. Arrived at Munich station at 1404 hours.  

Must-Incur Costs
(1) Snälltåget and ICE return ticket: SEK3900 per person. The tickets were bought from Snälltåget's website. I chose from Stockholm to Munich and the train schedule was given by Snälltåget. 

Optional Costs
Day 1
(1) Dinner on Snälltåget - carrot and feta cheese patties with pickled onions and potatoes SEK119. Stella Artois (alcohol-free) SEK29.

Day 2
(1) Breakfast at Hamburg station - Sandwich EUR4.80
(2) Lunch on ICE train - Lentil soup EUR7.90, alcohol-free beer EUR3.40

The Story
30072022 Evening: We met up at Stockholm Central station and boarded the train at 1615 hours. The train came 10 minutes before departure and left on time too. We were worried that the train was not going to appear.




There are packaged water in each sleeping cabin. We were able to charge our phones without any problem.
 


A train attendant came to check our passports about 30 minutes after the train departed.


It is required to book a spot in the restaurant car and one can only sit for 1 hour. We booked a table through the train's website. I like that the table has designated spaces for drinks so the drink can't spill. 






31072022 Morning: We arrived at Hamburg Hbf (Hbf = Hauptbahnhof = main train station) at 0554 hours. It was early and the station was bustling with people. I felt unsafe in the station. Saw a man spitting from a level above. There were lots of drunked people in the station.




The trains have been allocated the platforms so we could see our train schedule (valid from June to December 2022) on the board. It was easy to see too where our train car is placed.


It is a requirement to wear masks in trains in Germany. If I am not mistaken, this requirement is lifted in September. 


Here comes our Inter-City Express (ICE) 703. We departed at 0736 hours and our 7 hour journey to Munich starts. This is not an overnight train, so there are seats only. I booked Special 2 class and I did not realise that it is a small room for 6 persons. I suppose it is meant to be a private room but the air was stuffy when we closed the door and I don't think it is a good idea when the air circulation is limited. It felt dry in my throat and I was beginning to cough which got me worried thinking it was Covid but it went away when I sipped some water. Phew. 



There were no time limitation to sit in the restaurant car. So, we sat in the restaurant car to have our lunch and chatted. It was the only time we could remove our masks - to eat. It was here I learnt my first German phrase - zahlen, bitte (pronounced as saa-len bitter). Pay, please. Took me many attempts to remember that. 



Arrived in Munich station at 1404 hours! Finally, I can remove my mask!

No comments: