Sunday, January 20, 2019

Tallinn: Part 5 - Day 3: Balti Jaam Market, Flea Market, Kadriorg Palace, Tallinn University, Rottermann Quarter

Day 3
Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 3.

6/1 Day 3: Balti Jaam Market -- Flea Market (both markets are in Telliskivi) -- Kadriork Palace -- Tallinn University -- Rottermann Quarter -- fly back to Stockholm 

Optional Costs
(1) Souvenirs (2 Russian wool hats) - EUR20
(2) Tuna croissants from the grocery mart - EUR2,70

The Story
06012019: Today is my last day in Tallinn. I fly back to Stockholm tonight. In the morning, I followed my friend to church which is located in Telliskivi. Coincidentally, a must-see local market is located in Telliskivi. It is called Balti Jaam Market. There is an outdoor and indoor market. I love going to markets to see how local it is, hoping that they are not catering to many tourists. I wanted to get some Russian wool hats and I thought that the market would be the best place to get it. It sure is as I explored further inside. 







I was very surprised to see fish that come from as far as Argentina! The lady who was manning this place was showing gestures at me while she was talking to another worker in Estonian. She did look angry. So, I guess she must be annoyed at me taking photographs like how all tourists are. 








Their local supermarket, similar to ICA and Coop of Sweden, Lidl of Europe. We tried not to spend much on my last day as we had spent quite a bit on food for the past 2 days. We got our tuna croissants here.


As I came down the escalator, I saw this booth with all the colourful sweet wrappers. The sweets are from Ukraine and Russia. The lady manning the counter did not speak to us and did not smile too. We lingered around and me pondering what to buy. In the end, I did not buy anything because I did not know what was good. Plus, I had bought Kalev chocolates the day before at a local mart. In addition, the sweets cost a lot.. check out the prices in the following photo.






We walked out from the market, and headed to the direction of the church. I was surprised to see abondoned buildings and containers, and it turns out that they house cafe and restaurants now. They call Telliskivi - hipster area. 




These train carriages have become restaurants now. Peatus means stop in Estonian.





After church, my friend brought me to an indoor flea market which was housed inside this old warehouse. I got one of my Russian wool hats here. It was warm with the hat. 





Now, we are headed to Kadriorg Palace which is an art museum. If I have not been to any art museums in Europe, I would have definitely entered inside Kadriorg Palace, but I have been to a few and so, I am not keen to enter. 

Kadriorg Palace is a Petrine Baroque palace built for Catherine I of Russia by Peter the Great in Tallinn, Estonia. It was built after the Great Northern War for Nicola Michetti's designs by Gaetano Chiaveri and Mikhail Zemtsov. The palace currently houses the Kadriorg Art Museum, a branch of the Art Museum of Estonia, displaying foreign art from the 16th to 20th centuries. The KUMU branch of the museum, showing Estonian art from the 18th century onwards is located nearby in the park. Source from Wikipedia.





The staff could not understand English. I asked them who stayed here. They said something to each other in Estonian, and gave me a hard look. I guess it is a common look but I thought they looked angry. I thanked them and left. It costs EUR6,50 and neither me and my friend were interested. The tour guide that I went with in the Medieval Walking Tour told us that Estonians don't smile. They just nod their heads. 



This is KUMU Art Museum which is close by to Kadriorg Palace. EUR16 to get in. I am not ready to pay that much for an art museum. 


This is the residence of the President of Estonia which was behind Kadriorg Palace.


My friend was studying in a short programme organised by Tallinn University. So, we paid a visit to the University. It was very quiet on a Sunday. 




Saw a naked painting which reminded me of Stockholm. I wondered if this is an influence of the Swedes since Sweden occupied Estonia too.


A cinema in the university because they offer filming courses too.


The oddest thing was some trams ran in the middle of the road. One has to be careful when alighting from the trams to make sure that cars have stopped.


Last place - Rottermann Quarter. 

The Rotermann Quarter, located in the heart of Tallinn between the Old Town, the port, and Viru Square, sits in a historically important area – the crossing point of the Tartu, Narva and Pärnu highways was at Viru Square in the 19th century, which is also the official centre of Tallinn. The Rotermann Quarter has almost as many historically valuable buildings as the Old Town of Tallinn. Source from Rotermann.

I read that this place was worth visiting. To me, the place is modern in comparison to Old Town. I won't recommend it, though. There were lots of restaurants and cafes. 





To the airport I go now. The gate that I was departing from has a 3D-virtual game and sockets that hung from the ceiling. Very interesting.



That marks the end of my Estonia trip. 

Here are the list of places I went. You can click on the link and be directed to the posts immediately. 

Day 3 - Balti Jaam Market, Flea Market, Kadriorg Palace, Tallinn University, Rottermann Quarter (this post)

I have mentioned some of my expenses in each post. But for total and different category of expenses, I will sum it here.  

1) Food - EUR46,80
2) Entrance fees - EUR11,50
3) Tram ticket -  EUR5
4) Souvenirs - EUR20
5) Tips - EUR2

Total Cost for the trip = EUR94,30. That will be SEK963,90 / RM442.96. In my personal opinion, Tallinn is worth a visit! It is so rich with history and not to mention, the honest people in Tallinn. Although all the historical places need an entrance fee (I am spoilt by Stockholm's generosity where half of its museums have free entrance), those that I went in are worth visiting.  

No comments: