Sunday, September 30, 2018

Holland (Work) : Boat Cruise

040918 : I was in Holland for work matters, and my colleagues and I had a few hours to spare before our flight back to Sweden. 

First matter on the agenda was to find food - I had kebab wrap for lunch that costs EUR9. After lunch, 3 of us decided to go on the canal boat tour. I have never been on one before and it has always been one of my interests to be on one. 







Highlight of the day for me - the boat tour that costs EUR11. It was a one-hour ride. We had a funny boat driver.




Can you guess where does that door leads to? The tiniest little toilet ever.






Snow Palace Restaurant was built to resemble a similar one in China. It was built for 800 people but when 800 people went in, the restaurant sank and it turns out that it was made for 800 Chinese people and not Europeans. So, only 700 Europeans could go in. I am not sure if this is a true story but it was hilarious!



There are so many boat houses here because there is a shortage of houses in Holland. 


Every month, the local council will scoop out bicycles from the canal. The canal is 3 meter deep - 1 meter of mud, 1 meter of bicycles and 1 meter for the boats. I am shocked!


Houses in the past were built on sand and there were no good measurements to build the houses so there was no middle pole which resulted in the houses to sink 3mm every year. These houses are known as 'dancing houses'. So, you can see that some of the buildings are not straight.


We passed by the smallest canal.


There was even a boat that has cats up for adoption.





After the canal boat ride, we had waffles! EUR5.50 - with strawberries and chocolate! Perfect way to end the work trip in Holland.






No comments: