Monday, August 27, 2018

Oslo and Bergen: Part 12 - Day 5: Mount Floyen (again), Midway to Ulriken

Day 5
Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 5.

6/8 Day 5: Mount Floyen -- Midway to Ulriken -- Train from Bergen to Oslo

Must-Incur Costs
(1) Train ride from Bergen to Oslo - NOK469 (super expensive and the price fluctuates. It was cheaper when I checked it the first time)

Optional Costs

(1) Backpack storage at Bergen Train Station - NOK50 (Medium Size Locker) for 24 hours.
(2) Paella Rice from the Fish Market - NOK189

The Story

060818: My penpal left for London that morning and I find myself back at Bergen Train Station to store my backpack while I explore Bergen again. I was taking the train back to Oslo tonight because it is the cheapest ride. I stored my backpack in the medium size locker. There are samples of lockers for you outside the Storage Room so you can determine which locker fits your bag. One needs to pay first before the locker unlocks itself. So, make the right choice! Plus, once you have stored your bag and locked the locker, and you change your mind because you could have forgotten something, then you have to pay again to lock it again.






Look how industrious the gardeners are - even in the rain!


I made my way up Mount Floyen again but this time, in the cold and windy rain. Ugh. I had forgotten my rain-proof pants in my backpack. I hiked up which took me 45 minutes. There were a couple of people who hiked up too with their dogs. Today, I decided to go to Mount Ulriken which was 13km away from Mount Floyen. 



At the peak of Mount Floyen, there is a troll forest where there are lots of troll sculptures. It was said that Norway's mountains were once trolls (and there were lots of trolls) and they changed to mountains.



The route to Mount Ulriken were clearly marked in the beginning. The path was man-made which means there are no stones or rocks jutting out. It was a bit tiring for me.  






The ascending man-made path. Next to it is a ledge. So, I did not walk too close to the side. I was imagining too many horrible stuff of myself tumbling down because I may slipped as it was raining. See how grey and cloudy it was. 





At the path continues to a nature path which was rocky but more pleasant to walk on because of the soft (and sometimes slippery due to the rain) earth, the signs were not clear or I could have missed the wrong turn and there were no signboard. I took a wrong turn once and was walking towards the wind and the rain which was horribly freezing cold, and I walked back with the wind blowing against me, and my wet clothes stuck to my body. I was in a lot of pain from the cold.


The sign says - Drinking water, but I did not try it. I was not sure who may choose to ignore the rules to not dirty the water.




I was very shocked to see this. This is a box for the Red Cross. It is long because there is a stretcher inside.








I walked till 4.3km of the trail and I turned back because the pain on my hands were unbearable, my shoes were soaked wet, and it was 12pm. I thought I would not have sufficient time to complete the rest and be back in time for my ride back to Oslo. Plus, I was afraid of getting lost as there was not much folk on the trail. 


I hiked back down to the city centre and reached at 2.30pm, got a place to rest and dry my shoes and socks. Well, attempted to dry. It was half dry and I thought that I should try the paella rice at the Fish Market before I headed back to Oslo at 10.59pm. 



It was oily but tasted alright. Not spicy. I tried a similar dish in Bangkok but I cannot remember the price now. I know it is not cheap but it was definitely not as expensive as this one in Bergen. 


10.59pm. Time to head back to Oslo. There was no one sitting next to me, so I could lie on both seats and slept with my neck support. It was a 7-hour ride and I reached Oslo at 6.13am.

No comments: