Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Cambodia : Part 7 - Day 2 Evening : Angkor Wat Sunset, Sugar Palm Restaurant

19.01.2017 - We told the driver of our Countryside Tour to drop us at Angkor Wat Ticket Office because we wanted to buy tickets for the next day to catch the sunrise. Well, one can buy it tomorrow too but we were worried if we cannot wake up in time or cannot find a tuk-tuk. But anyway, we could see the sunset today too and get to go in for free after 5pm if we have the next day ticket. Angkor Wat Ticket Office is huge! There are 47 counters, a small cafe, some souvenir booths, a clean toilet, and an ATM machine. I noticed the ATM machine in Cambodia are enclosed. It is safer that way. 







My sister queue up to buy the ticket for the next day. One cannot buy on behalf of someone else for the next day ticket because you need to have your photo taken. The cool part is the photos taken are clear and resembles the person quite accurately. 




We were very lucky to visit Angkor Wat before 1 February 2017. The price we bought for a 1-day pass is USD20 / RM90 (*heart pain*) and after 1 February 2017, the price is now USD37. I am not sure if this is effective yet but I read it in the news. I saw a few China groups who bought 1 week ticket pass. I am aware there are many temples to see in Angkor Wat Archaeological Park but we don't have that much time. Plus, I don't want to be 'temple-out' or 'temple overdose'. I have already have 3 temples in mind to visit which are the must visit. 


After purchasing the tickets, I approached an officer and asked where is Angkor Wat? I was looking for a door or sign of the temple. His answer shocked me - It is 4km away. I went WHAT? How are we getting there? I asked if there is any tuk-tuk or motorcycles we can hail? He called his colleague - a police officer. They discussed. The police officer is willing to drive us to Angkor Wat and back to the hostel for USD5 per person. The officer is willing to wait for us as we wait for the sunset in Angkor Wat. I agreed to USD5, thinking it was 2 motorcycles we will be riding on. 

We followed the officer and he pointed to sit behind him. I went WHAT? But we went ahead. My sister sat in the middle. Thank goodness, my sister is thin. Haha. It was a scary 4km drive as we rode past tourists buses and cars, WITHOUT a helmet. Our police officer even managed to strike a conversation with us as he steered the bike, asking us how long are we in Siem Reap.





The officer was waving to his colleagues along the way, and he rode until the barrier. We walked in and I saw Angkor Wat, a UNESCO World Heritage. There were security guards to check our ticket validity if we can enter after 5pm. Now, in my head, I was under the impression that I could see the sunset at Angkor Wat = sun setting with a view of Angkor Wat. My sister's interpretation gave me a loud awakening = Yes, you can see the sunset AT Angkor Wat. But if you want to see the sunset WITH / OF Angkor Wat, it is not here. It is true that we are seeing the sunset AT Angkor Wat. 

Gawd, I hate English sometimes. 

A guard at Angkor Wat told us that you can see the sunset of Angkor Wat from a mountain which is not part of the ticket USD20. Well, it was too late anyway, and we enjoyed the sunset AT Angkor Wat with a lot of tourists. We were there for 30 minutes and the guards were chasing everyone out because the visiting hours were till 5.30pm. I did not explore much of Angkor Wat. Not much of "free". You can buy the ticket for the next day after 5pm, and travel about 10 minutes by tuk-tuk to Angkor Wat and that gives you about 20 minutes to enjoy the 'free' portion. 














The police officer was waiting for us after the sunset view, and he rode 8km back to the Hostel. Once he dropped us, he took out his cap and pointed - Police. Safe. Showed us a thumbs-up sign. 



For dinner, we have researched a place - Sugar Palm Restaurant. It is slightly costly but it has the best fish amok in town, according to a photo with Gordon Ramsay. It is 500 metres from our hostel. Pretty near.

When one of Britain's top chefs, Gordon Ramsey, was looking for a place to go to learn how to cook Khmer food, he went to Sugar Palm, where Kethana Dunnet’s souffled amok is considered to be the best in town, if not the country, by a long mile. Source from Travelfish.








The teapot is weird and difficult to pour. We spilled the tea as we pour it. Notice the spout. 


The famous fish amok which took about 40 minutes to prepare - it is soft, and souffle-like. It does reminds me of otak-otak, Malaysian delicacy of grilled fish cake made of ground fish meat mixed with tapioca starch and spices. Anyway, it is sort of a small portion too. USD7.50 / RM33.75. Thankfully, it is delicious.

The specialty is fish amok, freshwater snakehead fish steamed in a banana leaf with a lightly spiced blend of coconut cream and steamed vegetables. The result is a firm, moist curry with an ethereal, soufflé-like texture. Source from FoodieHub.




The rice is a super small portion. Compare it with my sister's friend's Pinky finger. Her pinky finger.


Just stir fried vegetables in addition to the fish amok. They are not cheap. Altogether our dinner was USD23.50 / RM105.75.  






After dinner, we had a walk in the Night Market. This time, we saw earrings made from bullets. The colours remain the same as the bullet. The design is beautiful. The price about USD14 per pair. I was so tempted to buy because they are so beautiful but it is expensive. Plus, my skin has different reaction towards fake items. 





The same shop also sells necklaces made from natural seeds. Very creative.




Finally, I managed to catch a photo of some tourists trying fried bugs. A scoop of bugs cost USD1. I saw a guy eating a small fried snake. I almost wanted to puke seeing that. Their courage is admirable.



Now, we head back to the Hostel to enjoy the air-cond. 

No comments: