Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sweden : Part 3 - Day 1 Evening : Vaerdalske Befestninger and Reindeer Meat

The Route:

Tannforsen Waterfall, Duved, Sweden -- Vaerdalske Befestninger, Norway -- Midtre Gauldal Rest Area (sleep for the night)

18092015 - From Tannforsen Waterfall, we crossed the border to Norway. Prof Sweet Tooth took out his great big Scandinavian map and pointed out that we are not too far from Norway. I said okay because I have never been to Norway. And if you have never been to Norway, please go. The nature is beautiful. Really. I get nature-gasm just from the car window.


It was cloudy and it looked like it was going to rain. But there was no rain. It was just cold and windy. Along the route from Ostersund to the Norway border, there were signs to be careful of reindeer crossings. Unfortunately, we did not see any. I don't know if it is just my bad luck. Or there are no reindeers at all but just signs to encourage people to use the route. Or the reindeers are afraid of the cloudy skies.




The Swedish man wants to go back to Sweden.


Yay to arriving at Norway at 7.20pm. Still bright!


Prof Sweet Tooth kept driving and I was ooh-ing and aah-ing at the nature. Then, we saw a beautiful bridge by the jungle where Prof Sweet Tooth suggested that we explored. I protested because it was getting dark and it is dangerous! What if we slipped or the bridge collapsed? Plus, it is dark. There is nothing to see. Prof Sweet Tooth ignores me and parked the car. So, I had to leave the car too, wearing an additional top (which is a heat top - it was my first time wearing it during the trip and Norway somehow, is colder than Sweden), woolen cap and gloves.


The bridge turns out to be the path that leads to the Værdalsken Befestninger (Fortifications in English). I took 30 minutes to google more information on this because there is no information in English, and I have to opt for Norwegian Language in my google page to search for the details. Back to the Fortifications. The bridge will lead to the North and South Gallery of the Fortifications. We only attempted the walk on the bridge and saw a waterfall gushing next to us. I cannot imagine if one fall down. In this cold weather! 

The Værdalske fortifications are a group of fortifications along Jamtland road (county road 72) in Verdal municipality in Nord-Trøndelag. These facilities were built as a result of the tense situation between Norway and Sweden by the union in 1905. The fortresses are part of Stjør- and Værdalske fortifications, and would protect Trondelag against a possible attack from the east. (Source from Wikipedia)


If a Scandinavian wears a thick rain-coat, a scarf, gloves and a hat - you know it is freezing cold!


Can you see the waterfall?


I am posing next to the waterfall. Can you see it at the bottom of the photo?


After the walk, it is time for our dinner. We are having reindeer meat sandwich! We had bought smoked reindeer meat in Ostersund. The ingredients to eat the meat includes flat bread, mustard and mayonnaise. It was yummy! I could not detect any taste in the reindeer meat.






Prof Sweet Tooth is so hungry that he needed to have 2 sandwiches in his hands. I had 2 sandwiches too. Good stuff. We had to finish the reindeer meat or it may spoilt. I doubt it though, because the temperature in Norway is cold enough for the meat.



We drove on to Midtre Gaudal where we spent the night at a rest area. Of course, we slept in the car.

No comments: