Thursday, November 19, 2015

Pyrenees : Part 27 - Day 13 : Perpignan and Celles

Day 13 of Pyrenees Drive

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 13

Route:
Perpignan -- Palace of the Kings of Majorca -- Celles -- Saint Porcain (sleep by the roadside)

Must-Incur Costs :

(1) Petrol at Albaret Saint-Marie -- EUR49.30 (last filled at Prades on Day 12)
(2) Millau Bridge -- EUR7.50
(3) Entrance fee to Palace of the Kings of Majorca -- EUR4

The Story

130915 : We woke up at 8.30am to a very strong sun. We have not seen such strong sun rays for a long time. At least not for me considering I am a Malaysian. I have missed the sun. Prof. Sweet Tooth has parked along the beach. Pretty soon, many people were seen jogging along the road, and on the beach too. We had a walk along the beach, and I removed my shoes to feel the cold water of the Mediterranean Sea. It was freezing cold. 








After the walk, we continued our drive to Perpignan City. It was deserted. No shops were opened. We were so hungry and was looking for a place to eat. Well, it was Sunday, and I cannot blame the closed shops. We decided to visit Palace of the Kings of Majorca as it is a must-visit place in Perpignan, and could not find any eatery. There were a few groups of elderly tourists who were also doing a tour.

The Palace of the Kings of Majorca, is a palace and a fortress with gardens overlooking the city of Perpignan. In 1276, King James II of Majorca made Perpignan the capital of the Kingdom of Majorca. He started to build a palace with gardens on the hill of Puig del rey on the south of the town, the architects were Ramon Pau, Pons Descoll, and Bernat Quer with completion in 1309. The Palace of the Kings of Majorca is a fortified Palace in the Gothic style. (Source from Wikipedia)
























A part of the Palace was an exhibition hall where Islamic paintings were on display.





Now, we head for lunch. We found a restaurant! Finally. Thankfully, we found this because when we reached the main square, there were more restaurants but the price is slightly more expensive. We did see lots of people at the main square. We had pasta each for EUR9.50. It was a big portion and very filling. I like.

 





We got ourselves a huge muffin (which was not properly baked inside as it was slightly damp) because it looked so yummy! EUR2.70 for one piece. We got a Nutella muffin. In the same bakery, we got an ice-cream too. 2 scoops for EUR3.80. I have no complaints because I have not eaten ice-cream for some time.


 







The Pyrenees road trip ends in Perpignan. It was a heavy heart that we continue our drive to the north back to Sweden. The drive continues north from Perpignan to Celles. The place is old, as it is a 'decaying' village. It is a small village, and I did see a family fishing by the lake.

Celles is a commune in the Hérault department in southern France. The original village sits on the bank of Lac du Salagou. The French authorities are allowing this village to decay and all buildings except the town hall and the church are in ruins. It is a popular place for fishing and picnics. (Source from Wikipedia)








It was about less than an hour in Celles and the drive continues. We had to take a detour because there was a flash flood and the road collapsed. We drove through the inner road instead of the planned highway. We also drove on Millau Bridge, but it was raining heavily and could not stop to snap a photo. We stopped for dinner at a rest area by the highway in Hospitalet du-Larzac. Prof. Sweet Tooth got his usual burger, and he requested me to get espresso so that I will not sleep early. I have a tendency to fall asleep as he drives through the night. I know - my driving stamina is incomparable to his. I have no idea where he gets the energy from. Dinner is EUR16.05.



Earlier, I had lamented to Prof. Sweet Tooth that I have yet to taste wine in France and it has been 13 days. Soon, we will exit France. *whine* Then, an angel came and granted me my wish. By a stroke of coincidental luck, the next diner gave us his bottle of wine which he could not finish. It was a small bottle, and there was some left. Unfortunately, I could not finish it either. But I was so happy because I get to taste French wine! Yay! And it is bitter. Ugh. Not my taste. 



The drive continues on until 1.45am, and we passed out by the roadside at Saint-Porcain.

No comments: