Thursday, November 5, 2015

Pyrenees : Part 20 - Day 9 Morning : Cable Ride to Petit d'Artoutse

Day 9 (Morning) of Pyrenees Drive

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 9.

Route: Fabreges -- Walk to Petit d'Artoutse Cable Station -- Cable Ride to Petit d'Artoutse

Must-Incur Costs :

1) Cable and Train Ticket - EUR20 (one way)

The Story

The Petit train d'Artouste is a narrow gauge tourist railway situated in the French Pyrenees close to the Spanish border. The line runs high above the headwaters of the Gave d'Ossau, and provides access to the Lac d'Artouste, a semi-artificial lake in the mountains at an altitude of over 2,000 m. The train is reached by a télécabine from a lower station at Artouste-Fabrèges, on the Lac de Fabrèges in the valley of the Gave du Brousset. This lower station is at an altitude of 1,240 m and accessible by road. The télécabine climbs to an upper station (known as Ossau 2000) at an altitude of 1,920 m, where passengers change to the petit train. After leaving Ossau 2000, the line runs through a 315m tunnel, crossing under the ridge to reach a point high above the valley of the Gave de Soussouéou, another of the Gave d'Ossau's tributaries. From here the line runs along a twisting and vertiginous ledge above that valley until it reaches the dam of the Lac d'Artouste. The culminating point of the railway is approximately 1,940 m. The line is 10 km long. (Source from Wikipedia)

090915: The night before, Prof Sweet Tooth has driven from Lourdes to Fabreges. We reached at close to 11pm. This time, I was not asleep when we arrived. Our plan for today was to do a nature trek in Pyrenees National Park. It was exciting to finally step foot in the National Park. So, the itinerary was (1) Take a 15-minute cable ride (known as the La Sagette Cable Car) to Petit d'Artoutse Train Station (also known as Sagette Ski Station) (2) At Petit d'Artoute Train Station, take the Little Yellow Train (for 50 minutes) to Lake Artoutse (3) Walk to the Lake for maybe 20 minutes (4) Do a long trek that will lead us back to the foot of the hill where the car is located (5) Exit of the trail is right opposite where the car is parked. Initially, we wanted to camp in one of the huts at Lake Lurien for the night but I changed my mind when I saw that it was empty. Prof Sweet Tooth was not scared. I was.

I mentioned that Prof Sweet Tooth had parked right opposite the exit of the walking trail that we were doing today. I have no idea he was so brilliant to pick such a strategic spot. In fact, it was during the night that he managed to sight the exit signboard and at that time, I did not understand what he was explaining about. I admit, I am a bit slow.

Prior to this trip, Prof Sweet Tooth had analysed a topographic map of Pyrenees National Park and saw a trail from Lake Artoutse to the end of the foothill. Along the trail, he mentioned that there are 2 refugee huts where we can stop and cross another lake which is Lake Lurien. I was skeptical and asked him many times if he is sure there is a walking trail because I cannot find it in any website. Like I said, information is limited in English. But fortunately, Prof Sweet Tooth is fond of walks and has no fear in walking new grounds. To ease my skeptic mind, I went to the website that operates Petit d'Artoutse cable and train station and emailed the contact person stating our options to take the train and return by walk. The person told me EUR20. For a return ticket via train and cable the next day, it is EUR30. For a return ticket via train and cable the same day, it is EUR25. There were no objections to us walking back. If you plan to return via train the same day or the next day, please check the train schedule in the website. If you are wondering why we chose to take the train ride and not walk, it is because we wanted to explore other options to see Pyrenees. It did not tire us as we took the train up and walk down.

Back to the trip.

In the morning, we were woken up by the sounds of the cars driving by and I opened my eyes to see the sun beginning to peek out. It was dark and cold. We packed our things, preparing ourselves to sleep the night in one of the huts (which we eventually did not stay).




The car is parked right after this signboard that welcomed us to Fabreges Village. As you can see, there are many cars and camper vans parked here too. After our perky cheerful photo, we were off for our walk to the Cable Station. It was probably about a 1km walk. We started our walk at 9am and reached the Village at 9.20am. It was not tiring especially when it is freezing cold.






We reached the village and there were not many tourists yet. There were a few restaurants that were just starting to open. We saw 2 souvenir shops that were opened but none has my Pyrenees fridge magnets that I wanted. The ticket counter has opened at 9am. We went to the counter and bought the 1-way ticket. Our train ticket was scheduled at 11am.

 




 

We were informed to take the cable ride earlier to ensure we catch the 11am train. We were at the cable station by 10.05am and was at the top by 10.20am. 15 minutes just as we were informed. The ride to the top was gorgeous. Green nature. Bright blue skies. No clouds. The sun. The heat was so welcomed. I am officially in Pyrenees mountain range!









 

At the train station on the top of the hill is a single restaurant which has expensive food. I was so hungry and tempted to buy but Prof Sweet Tooth tells me to wait as we will have our food soon when we reached Lake Artoutse. So, while I was hungry, he munches on his Mars chocolate bar.








And that, my dear readers, is the Little Yellow Train! It was so exciting to see it! The heart is happy. Now, we wait for 11am.

1 comment:

P.H. said...

I recall this morning. I felt bad because I had told you during our planning phase that it is warm in southern France, and I had been freezing myself pretty much during the night before. And so far during this trip, we actually never met the summer heat as I thought we should do. And without knowing the weather forecast, I saved a silent prayer that we hopefully would not meet a snowstorm on the other side of the line of the Yellow Train...